Front of the engine oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry should have done a little more digging before posting. That part is the vacuum pump. I’m pretty sure that’s the cause of the leak, has anyone ever replaced one before? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Any news of the pumps replacement?

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tightened the bolts/screws that hold it in place. need to pull the skid plate off to check it again. new pump was quite pricy so I don't think ill be changing it out.
I tried the bolts tightening trick, alas no luck, so I ordered a new seal, re-installed and all is ok. Btw that FoMoCo part has now been superseded with a new one (LR082226) I did order this but I'll wait to install. Let's see how the old one fairs up.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the bolts tightening trick, alas no luck, so I ordered a new seal, re-installed and all is ok. Btw that FoMoCo part has now been superseded with a new one (LR082226) I did order this but I'll wait to install. Let's see how the old one fairs up.

Thanks for info. I too tightened mine with no luck. Let us know how the new seal works. I still have vacuum so guessing all that need replacing is the seal.

Did you drain oil? Just want to verify it’s necessary.

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for info. I too tightened mine with no luck. Let us know how the new seal works. I still have vacuum so guessing all that need replacing is the seal.

Did you drain oil? Just want to verify it’s necessary.
The seal part # is LR012685 - about $13.00 online
No I didn't drain the oil, I just let it leak out of the housing until it stopped, but I did measure how much came out. I put about 2 quarts back in after completion.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seal part # is LR012685 - about $13.00 online
No I didn't drain the oil, I just let it leak out of the housing until it stopped, but I did measure how much came out. I put about 2 quarts back in after completion.
Good info. Let me know how the repair holds up. Will likely give it a go if yours is successful

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, what do you FK-ing know. Look what I discovered when trying to trouble shoot my steering issue. I must have jinxed myself looking at this thread. View attachment 9067
It appears the primary leak points for the vacuum pump can be either between the pump and the oil pan/block OR from the front cover of the pump itself. The pump is p/n LR048796, although this may have been superceded to a new number.

With a new pump at ~$400 for OE, or ~$250 for OEM Pierburg, I'm curious what the likelihood is the leak is from the O-ring on the back of the pump. This O-ring is available separately (p/n LR012685, ~$17 MSRP). The FSM seems to indicate the oil pan should be drained before removing the pump. The stamped-steel front cover of the pump may have another O-ring seal but that isn't sold separately, and I don't know what the pump looks like with the cover removed - couldn't find anything on the interwebs.

I'd be a bit annoyed if I replaced the O-ring on the back only to find it was leaking from the front cover.

PIRB_LR048796_1.jpg

tonykudj

Reaction score
Same issue here plus alternator needs replacing. Have you swapped out the o-ring? What fitting type is it and do you have the torque specs? Also found what appears to be a water pump gasket sitting in the skid plate. hope it's the old one that just fell down when it was replaced. 20190327_191550.jpg 20190327_192108.jpg 20190327_191537.jpg 20190327_191455.jpg 20190327_192124.jpg

Shjtster

Reaction score
I've got a 2010 LR4 @187k with the same vacuum pump leak. Planning on ordering the rebuild kit from Amazon, if anyone has had any luck with it. I'm guessing oil needs to be drained for this.

Klifex Vacuum Pump Rebuild Kit for Land Rover Discovery LR4 Range Rover LR010690 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J2PX2QF/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_331H5E8BT45HXF8BKX8W

I've also noticed the upper right (passenger) timing cover seems to be leaking pretty bad. It looks easy to remove, just need to pull the larger coolant line. Doesn't appear to anything mounted to it or need valve cover removed. Anyone know if there's a gasket for the cover, I could find one. The plan is to remove, clean and use RTV.

Jrkramer76

Reaction score
Good morning group!

Same thing going on for me... Just found the gasket set on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09J2PX2QF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It will be here in two days. Already removed the pump and replaced with the odd shaped gasket and reinstalled and it was still leaking from the push on connector and also from the larger O ring " Its pretty big and flat maybe 2.5" " . I removed that push on connector ****** and found a very worn out O ring that needs help. The gasket kit includes a full rebuild of Gaskets to fully replace the pumps seals. hopefully it will be good and dry after the rebuild.

Lr4 2011 has 150k on her.. this wont stop her! lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV