GAP TOOL (LA or SF)?! 2015 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just need the GAP TOOL to turn off the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) that are stock/factory installed on my 2015 LR4.

Would anyone in the West Coast Land Rover community who owns the GAP TOOL be willing to turn it off for me?! I tried the dealer to no avail plus the start-up disable steps and it doesn't work on the 2015 sadly. So looks like I need the GAP TOOL, and I don't need it for anything else. I would of course compensate the person who helps me; should be super quick and simple. I can meet in Los Angeles or San Francisco area at anytime/location at your convenience. Many thanks!

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tools are VIN locked. Not sure if someone can pay Gap to add another VIn, yours, just to do the one thing.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why exactly do you want to turn them off out of pure curiosity??

Those DRLs are what keep this car looking somewhat current(I'll never stop loving the boxy shape). In my new neighborhood full of Range Rovers, Defenders, G-wagens, porsches, teslas and now some rivians; I feel like I almost kinda can fit in, a little... There are tons of LR3s and LR4s also, but the 2014-2016 LR4s look just that much more modern with the LED DRLs.

Reaction score
Just prefer every "option" to be manual. Analog style! I wonder if a local independent Land Rover service shop could do it?

cjm41

Reaction score
Just prefer every "option" to be manual. Analog style! I wonder if a local independent Land Rover service shop could do it?

I always drive with my parking/dims on because I love the looks of the those light strips. If you leave it to the DRLs, when you turn your turn signal on, it turns the light off on the side you’re turning (presumably to make the orange blinking light more obvious. But then it just looks like you’ve got a head light out when you’re at an intersection with a turn signal on.

An indie shop should be able to help. There’s two types of GAP tools, one is VIN locked (those are the ones the average DIYer will have) and VIN unlocked ones (more likely for LR indie shops to have). The VIN unlocked ones are like $2k I think, that’s why nobody buys them for themselves.

Reaction score
Amazing. Funny 90% of the late model/ last generation LR4s I see on the road (2015-16s) DO NOT have DRL running (option) and (unrelated) don't have stock (base/stock model) 19" rims (19 INCH SEVEN-SPOKE ‘STYLE 703‘).

WatchStander

Reaction score
Based on your stated preference for every option to be manual, seems you would be the perfect candidate for buying your own GAP IID Tool.

Not trying to spend your money for you…those tools aren’t cheap. But they are very full-featured which makes buying one worthy of strong consideration. I’m at a “less-than-a-novice” level of proficiency but between on-line how-to videos, the excellent support of other members of this forum (some who have responded in this thread), and my trusty GAP IID Tool, I’ve been able to perform several routine maintenance tasks on my own, and I see where it provides the option to make other preferential changes, should I desire. Just changing the pri & aux batteries and resetting the BMS saved me a considerable amount of money versus going to the dealer…in my case, the GAP tool paid for itself when I finished the battery replacement.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but that’s my 2 cents worth of “you may wanna consider getting your own GAP IID Tool”. You sound like an excellent candidate for one. Happy hunting…

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA