GAP tool question (that has likely been answered already...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rkymtnman

Reaction score
Searched to no avail.

Can the max speed of off road mode be altered?

I made 2 new modes last night - one is +10 and the other is +20. I'll use +10 for every day use and switch to +20 for trails. What I can't seem to find is a way to disable the max speed for off road mode.

Maybe I am over thinking this and I can just create another mode that is say, +"max" and call it off road mode? Would this essentially make off road mode "normal ride height" and essentially disable the max speed of the max height?

The GAP FAQs elude to the fact that the max speed can't be disabled but I swear I read somewhere a guy was able to work around it.

TIA

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t found a way. I think it’s on purpose for liability.

Rkymtnman

Reaction score
yea....and after yesterday, I am thinking it is probably unnecessary. I ran a pretty rough trail yesterday and only once had an issue with it. I was hung up climbing on a rock and wheel spin put me over the limit. I just got a warning but no "automatic reset" to normal height. Spent 5 hours in low range/crawl mode too :)

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Searched to no avail.

Can the max speed of off road mode be altered?

I made 2 new modes last night - one is +10 and the other is +20. I'll use +10 for every day use and switch to +20 for trails. What I can't seem to find is a way to disable the max speed for off road mode.

Maybe I am over thinking this and I can just create another mode that is say, +"max" and call it off road mode? Would this essentially make off road mode "normal ride height" and essentially disable the max speed of the max height?

The GAP FAQs elude to the fact that the max speed can't be disabled but I swear I read somewhere a guy was able to work around it.

TIA
My understanding was that there was no way to get past that 50 km/h max speed cut-off that drops the vehicle out of off-road mode.

I always found that to smooth out washboard, it's best to get the tires down to 33 and the truck speed up to about 30mph which would always drop the truck out of "off-road height" which was annoying. Instead, I leave the truck mostly in "regular height mode" and then use three options in my IID Tool.

-10 for twisty highways and backroads (to lower it for more stability)
+20 for mild off road and dirt roads / washboard
+45 (?) for serious clearance and/or high speed washboard.

In all cases, I leave the hard switch in "regular height" on the truck. That way the speed limiter is out of the equation entirely.

If you're rock crawling then you can also add the hard switch to get another +5 or +10 or whatever you get but I didn't because I was already at the upper end of the range and didn't want to push it.

Side note: At those numbers you're hitting max suspension articulation ranges and the ride gets VERY firm and the suspension doesn't have a lot of give.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99