Gear shift locked in Park - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

kimtallymom

My son's 96 Discory is parked in my driveway. He sent me a thread about a 98 with same problem. I've checked all fuses...okay. C-clip on gear shifter is fine..No brake lights. I see 2 different wire boxes with wires going into them, thinking one of them has is the brake switch.

One has Brown/White/Red/Black/Green/Blue and is attached with 2 screws to the center console. Taking off the clips underneath, there's also another box with two rows of wires - Yellow/Yellow/Pink & White/White and second row Black/Black/nothing/Green & White/Pink & White.

Which one should I pull the wires out and try to jump? Thanks!

M

metalcowboy

Mine did the same thing !

I found that after starting up and it won't shift out of park I can turn the wheel and then try again and it works. Don't know if it's the same problem though. worth a try.

bonnettoboot

Reaction score
Be sure

make sure you actually tested the fuses as 90% of the time this is the problem, Bill

K

kimtallymom

saw the tech tips - I don't see a green/purple & green/orange wire & switch? Know where it might be?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2 wire switch is for the cruise, the 4 wire switch is the brake.

bmetke

Reaction score
shifter lockup

Mine is a 95 disco and it is blocking my brothers driveway---Help

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Check the brake switch (if you don't have brake lights this is the issue).

If you have brake lights, then it it will be the immobilizer pin in the shifter.

bmetke

Reaction score

Yep,it was the brake light switch,found one online for $24.95?But how do you get the switch out? thanx for the heads up,Bob

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be too hard, you just reach up there behind the brake pedal and lift it off of the mount (it isn't screwed down) and then unplug the connectors... reverse order to reinstall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM