Got bad news, tell me it's not so!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about fog lights, anyone install aftermarket fog lights??

Trynian

Reaction score
For what its worth, the factory nav system just isn't that great. A $300 Garmin will serve you better.

Agreed, plus there is also other after market systems that fit in the factory location.

Did that guy who did do the upgrade do it on a even lower model like an s or something? Logic would think that since it is an option on an SE that the wire harness may be in place.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that was an S, but even an SE w/o NAV does not have the harness. At least not that I have seen anywhere. I went with the kenwood / garmin solution:

IMG_0523.jpg

Under $1000 online. This option didnt just a few months ago, but today i would seriously consider this over in the classifieds

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that an aftermarket navi?
It looks great, I've seen the garmin GPS before and it didn't look like that
How is it connected, I see no wires tro the 12V outlet

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It requires cutting the dash :-( Its a Kenwood V500 or V1000 car portal ( very similar to a home stereo receiver), A Kenwood KOS-L702 touch screen display, and a Garmin KNA-G510 gps module. The V500 installed under the drivers seat and inputs to the factory AUX jack**. Removing the drivers seat and fishing the wires under the center console and behind the dash is moderately difficult. The dash cutting was easy with a dremel and/or box cutter.

**This is how I did it, but there are other possibilities like splicing all the speaker wires to go thought the V500. My way was simply but I only get voice navigation prompts when listening to the ipod or DVD player (which it 90% of the time for me).

A good instructional thread here. I didnt cut the Kenwood display, just a bit more of the LR3 dash.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under $1000 online. This option didnt just a few months ago, but today i would seriously consider this over in the classifieds
That is pretty impressive looking.
I wonder how the actual NAV funcationality is though. I don't know about buying some unknown navigation brand software?!?

image1rr.jpg

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so there is 2 pieces? a receiver under the seat and the wire routed behind the dash to the stock navi position?
Do they ship it from overseas? di you install it yourself?
how did you get it behind the dash with out messing with all the other wires?
Looks Cool!!!!

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so there is 2 pieces? a receiver under the seat and the wire routed behind the dash to the stock navi position?
Do they ship it from overseas? di you install it yourself?
how did you get it behind the dash with out messing with all the other wires?
Looks Cool!!!!

I think you are talking about my kenwood/garmin setup and not the new system in the classifieds? Sorry if my post wasnt clear that theses are two separate solutions. I have no idea about this new (blue) nav screen in the classifieds.

YES - the Kenwood v500 is under my seat with 1/2 dozen wires running under the center console then behind the stereo, and some continuing on to the fuse box behind the lower glove box. The connection for the touchscreen and GPS module is one thick cable each that includes everything. The rest of the wires are for ground, constant power, radio relay power, and ignition key switched power, and reverse light power.

The gray 'H" panel around the stereo pops off easily. Just tug on the bottom two sides. 6 screws and simply unclipping some wire connectors removed the stereo and HVAC to make fishing the wires much easier. I also removed the panel that holds the 12v outlets, but not sure that was needed.

I tucked the GPS module in the cavity to the left of the stereo behind the "H" panel. The GPS antenna is temporarily wired around the windshield and tucked above the dome/reading light panel (it also just pops off). It works well there, but I think it would be better back in the shark fin.

I ordered it from various places online. I did install it myself, but even with my experience of doing 6 previous more traditional car stereo installs I seriously considered professional help. Ultimately, Im glad I did it and had more money left over for beer ;-)

Let me know if you undertake this and Ill look up again which pin to tap for the switched radio power. Its nice that the whole system boots up when the radio come on. It only takes 5 seconds for the kenwood to boot up but that starts when I push the unlock on the key fob now. Traditionally it would be after I start the car. I think this will be more important once i install the backup cam. This also allows listening to it with out the keys like the rest of the factory stereo and it auto shuts off the same (w/ key removal, timed, etc). I dont think an installer would have thought of this convenience.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM