Gps maps update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine ever being willing to spend any serious money ($100+) on a map update. In my area, there aren't nearly enough road changes to warrant it, and I suspect soon (actually already) navigation is much better from an app.

Jeffro

Reaction score
There are some new roads/traffic patterns in my area. So... being that the maps on my LR4 were more than a year old, I decided to give this update a try. The USB arrived in about 5 days after ordering, along with instructions. I had to refer back to my "order confirmation" email to get the unlock code to type into the touch screen during installation. Although the update ultimately worked fine for me, it is very slllloooowwwwwww! After about an hour with the car parked and idling, I went out and the screen said the update was only 60% downloaded. So I said, the hell with this and turned off the car. The next day I drove around running errands for about another hour (the download will resume where it left off if you turn off the car) and the updates finished. Initially, I thought that something was wrong - because upon restart - the maps didn't work, my phone bluetooth connection didn't work and the HD radio did not work. Then - I noticed the last line in the printed instructions... something like, "Upon completion of restart - turn off the vehicle and lock it - and do not attempt to use the vehicle for at least 15 minutes.". So - I was home at that point. I turned everything off, locked and came back in about 20 minutes. I restarted the LR4 and everything came up working, the maps, the phone connection, the sat radio, the HD radio, and all my presets were present. There must be some installation routine that runs for a time after the download is complete. All said and done- it took over 2 hours for the USB 'update' to download. Although I did get the map/road updates I wanted, I'm not sure this is worth the time to perform this. I'm not sure I'd do it again. Or... if I do, I will wait 3-4 years until there are other road/map updates I need. I agree with everyone here - although it is much easier to use a mobile device, phone, iPad, etc. and use Google maps or Waze, it is still nice to have the GPS on board capability for those times when your phone is buried deep in a pocket, you don't want to fumble with a device and you simply want the LR to take you home - a one button push on the NAV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM