Gps maps update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horns

Reaction score
i received a mailer from LR advertising a maps update for 2oo smacks. 2012 lr4 Has anyone else done this? Thoughts? Does it improve the functionality or is it just road and poi updates. ( I suspect the latter). Does it just install through the CD player or do I get molested further by my local dealer? Thnx

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only updates POIs and new roads, at most it installs some new POI categories and may refresh some buttons with new icons and stuff. The interface remains the same.

You install the update through the USB socket under your arm rest: you receive a USB flash drive and an unlock code that you enter on the touchscreen to upload the data onto the hard drive in your car. You'll be asked for your VIN when purchasing the update - no "sharing" with other similar vehicles like the good 'ole CD or DVD days, since the unlock code is generated with your VIN and will only work on your car. The update takes a long time to get installed - an hour or so, IIRC - but the good thing is that it resumes from where it left off if you can't wait around with your engine running for the process to complete. No dealer required for 2012+, while the system and process are different for 2010-11s and a dealer does need to perform the update on those model years.

On a 2012 with a 4-year old database, it may be worth spending the money, but it depends on how out-of-date the data seems to be in your area, so you should decide. With free and always up-to-date alternatives available on smartphones nowadays, these $200 satnav "updates" are starting to look like relics from another era.

Last edited:

horns

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That's helpful. I dont use it too often bc it is clumsy; but it's nice to have on those rare occasions. I would be willing to pay more for a redesigned full upload.

JDiehl

Reaction score
I received the same letter in the mail for my Wife's Evoque for the nav update. I don't remember the last time we used a cars system. Always just grab my phone that gets constant updates and is much easier to use. I am going to keep my money and skip the update.

JD

jcgrone

Reaction score
BEWARE. DO NOT USE "HERE MAP"
Bought the update from Land Rover for my 2013 Sport. They use the map company "Here maps. Got the USB, followered the instructions. It screwed up my navigation. Called Here Maps and they said I would have to make an appointment with my dealership over 1 1/2 hrs away. The company said I need a system reset. The dealer cleared and updated any faults. Sent original USB back and waited over a month to get a replacement. Got the replacement USB, followed their instructions again and it still doesn't work.
Called the dealership, service manger talked to the map pcompany representative. Map company says it's a Land Rover issue, not the map company. I now I have to make another appointment next week. Requesting a refund from the map company. Will update after the appointment

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All cars need Google Maps. It's the gold standard at this point. No need to re-invent the wheel and have each manufacturer doing their own crappy versions of Sat Navs with infrequent and expensive updating. Google will update constantly for free. I think Tesla is the only one using Google Maps?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All cars need Google Maps. It's the gold standard at this point. No need to re-invent the wheel and have each manufacturer doing their own crappy versions of Sat Navs with infrequent and expensive updating. Google will update constantly for free. I think Tesla is the only one using Google Maps?

I really think that at this point most people want an external monitor for their smartphone.

I've driven cars with CarPlay (which mimics a few select iOS apps, with map programs like Google Maps or Apple Maps among them) and it's all I really want. Wish someone smarter than me could crack the Land Rover head unit and get CarPlay in there.

DaJammer

Reaction score
I really think that at this point most people want an external monitor for their smartphone.

I've driven cars with CarPlay (which mimics a few select iOS apps, with map programs like Google Maps or Apple Maps among them) and it's all I really want. Wish someone smarter than me could crack the Land Rover head unit and get CarPlay in there.

That would be sweet! I've had my Rover since June, and taken it on numerous trips, not often do I rely on the Nav system as my sole source. I may run it at the same time as I'm using Google Maps (maybe twice). But you just can't beat the mapping updates in real time and traffic updates with Google Maps. The time it came in handy; off roading in the California Mojave area. Not much cell coverage there.

One issue I had but finally figured out. Phone is connected via BT for calls. However, voice mapping instructions from my smartphone only come through the Rovers system when I have my music source connected as BT as well. So in other words, if I am listening to music from my 64 GB USB connected in the glove box, I can't hear any directions whatsoever. Not even from my phones speaker. I wasn't expecting that. Not the same issue in my other vehicles (Toyota and BMW). With them I can be connected via BT for calls, listen to music via USB drive, and still hear directions through the vehicle speakers. Unless I'm missing something...

VTBike

Reaction score

Agreed. Audi uses Google Maps too.
I love using the LR Nav because of the display (I don't like having to look down at my phone).. But hate that the LR maps do a terrible job with traffic, or non existant. It's super frustrating, and worst point. Sometimes LR time to arrival will be more than an hour different than google, because it doesn't take traffic into account.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick