H7 to H8 battery. Any known issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. FWIW I have replaced about 6 batteries in my various LR3/4s and have never reset the BMS whatever the hell that is lol.

I had a battery replaced by a dealer under warranty. It's anybody's guess if they reset the BMS. I later replaced one on my own and didn't have an IIDTool at the time, so no reset. It was an H7 AGM like the one it replaced, so that may explain why I have had no issues, so far. This was over a year ago.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TrinidadLR4. When you reset the Battery Setting was there an option to specifically select AGM-H8? Reason I ask is the LR tech said he reset the BMS but it doesn't specify the type of battery to that detail. He said he just reset it so it could re-learn???

It might say AGM but there is a CCA value specified in there too, pick the one that is closest to your new battery.

rolledover

Reaction score
Was finally able to check. The GAP tool shows several options for H7 and H8 batteries, mainly depending on CCA and reserve capactiy. There was no specific setting for AGM batteries.

Jasevo3rs

Reaction score
Thanks for checking rolledover. Much appreciated.

Updated the BMS to match the H8 and did not resolve the issue. Seems the starter motor is the guilty party! I'm reasonably ok on the tools but lack of a garage and the likelihood of the Houston humidity turning me into a pool of salted jello, may force my hand to pay someone some dollars!

Thanks for the input all.

MDJ2015

Reaction score
Chasing a starting issue with my 2012 LR4 - just clicks on pressing button but will eventually start when using the accelerator pedal override trick.

I've had the click in my 2012 while camping (doors open too much or key too close...don't know) but I'm not familiar with the accelerator pedal override trick. Please let me know!

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread to point out an issue I just encountered with using the H8. Has to do with the bigger size of the H8 battery.

I was rear-ended a while back (thanks to asshole who was texting while driving - very sad - this car was absolutely mint). Just got my car back a couple weeks ago and the battery went dead a day later. When I pulled it out, I noticed a hole in the firewall-facing end of the battery that was weeping acid. Turns out, the rear-end impact made the battery slide back in the bracket and hit some bolts that stick out of one of the junction boxes on the firewall. These AGMs are not supposed to leak when punctured, but - FYI - they do.

This could have happened with any battery, but the H8 battery is longer and closer to those bolts I mentioned (pic attached so you can see which bolts I’m talking about). So, if you’re going to use an H8, might better check it once in a while and make sure it’s not inching back and touching those bolts. Better yet, might put something over the bolts to protect the battery.

Attachments

• 2753B607-1ECF-408A-ABE3-422B57572634.jpeg
    2753B607-1ECF-408A-ABE3-422B57572634.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72