H7 to H8 battery. Any known issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasevo3rs

Reaction score
Hi all

Chasing a starting issue with my 2012 LR4 - just clicks on pressing button but will eventually start when using the accelerator pedal override trick.

Currently at the local Landy service centre and everything checks out. Charging ok, battery ok, starter is ok. I did change out the battery recently and thought it may need the BMS to he reset... which they have now done but issue not resolved.

I put in a new H8-AGM replacing the lead acid battery that was in there. Unfortunately not sure if the original battery was an H7 or H8.

The landy tech is suggesting that I put an H7 battery in there, per what was supplied out of the factory, as the H8 may he confusing the electrics. I have read a number of threads that recommend upgrading to an H8... so can't believe this is the issue and don't want to spend another $200 on a battery.

Input welcome and looking forward to being able to contribute to this forum rather than just ask for help! I'm thinking in due course I'm going to be learning a little about the 'intricacies' of owning an LR.

Again thanks in advance for any input.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Landy tech is at best misinformed, at worst...clueless. .A question for them is what would the difference be between a H7 and an H8? :)

Go with the H8 and if possible an AGM one. The extra reserve capacity may come in helpful.

Jasevo3rs

Reaction score
Your Landy tech is at best misinformed, at worst...clueless. .A question for them is what would the difference be between a H7 and an H8? :)

Go with the H8 and if possible an AGM one. The extra reserve capacity may come in helpful.

Thanks ktm525.... echoed my thinking but always worth bouncing it off someone else.

As I mentioned in my original post, I actually replaced the original battery with an H8-AGM in the LR a month or so ago... however after a month of no issues she's now playing up. Wierd thing is everything is checking out OK... just haven't located the gremlin as yet!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to know why he thinks its confusing electronics. The batteries work exactly the same, its purely a size difference. You could put a golf cart battery in there and it would work just the same.

Jasevo3rs

Reaction score
Thanks TrinidadLR4. When you reset the Battery Setting was there an option to specifically select AGM-H8? Reason I ask is the LR tech said he reset the BMS but it doesn't specify the type of battery to that detail. He said he just reset it so it could re-learn???

rolledover

Reaction score
I also went from an H7 to H8 AGM back in May and have had zero issues. Used the Gap Tool to reset the BMS and there was a setting in there for an H8 battery, can't remember if it said AGM. Will check later.

Richie04

Reaction score
Many thanks to all replies to this issue. My battery is going on four plus years, and the dealer said maybe you might get five years out of them. No issues yet, but good information on changing to the H8 AMG in the future. Can the battery be changed out without having to reset the BMS?

Jasevo3rs

Reaction score
Talked to a local mechanic in the know and he said that the BMS needs to be reset to recognize the change of battery type. Heading there tomorrow... shall see if this solves my starting issues. Wish me luck!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. FWIW I have replaced about 6 batteries in my various LR3/4s and have never reset the BMS whatever the hell that is lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72