Has anyone with 20" wheels tried the Conti Extremecontact DWS tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to take off the Hakka winter tires. I have a set 19" Cooper Zeons that are at least half worn that will work perfectly for beach driving in sand. (New Zeons tend to dig more than float in sand) However, being worn, they are getting noisier, almost to the point of being annoying on the road. And it will be a couple of months before the ocean gets warmer and we go to the beach.

I've got a set of 20" wheels sitting around that came on our gray LR4. The OEM Pirellis on those wheels are nearly bald after 13K miles. So I was thinking about getting a set of 20" Conti Extremecontact DWS tires. I used these before on my Audi allroads and they were great. Quiet, durable, really good in rain and are "all-season" in case we get a late spring or early fall snowfall. Anybody have any experience running these tires on an LR4? How is the handling? How fast do they wear on an LR4?

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the DWS06 on my X5 (fr275/45r20; rr 315/40r20). Great tires but they did have to put a new set on due to defects. On the X5 forum there are several with same issue. This seems to be on the DWS06 which is a replacement fo the DWS.

Now that they are balanced and such, love the tires. Rides smooth and great in snow and wet. For me, they may be too sporty for the LR4 but again, my only experience is with the wide low sizes.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback! Yes, I was referring to the newer DWS06 tires, probably in 275/45R20. Hopefully they have worked out any early defect problems by now.

I'm looking for a smoother, more sporty road tire between the winter Hakkas and summer Zeons. These should be perfect for the next couple of months, then again in the fall after beach driving season.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have them prior to my Zeons.
They wore out in about 15K.
Had minor issue in the fall and spring with freezing rain, sleet, and light snow.
I do use these on my wife's e90 as a summer tire with no issues though.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When fitting plus sizes to the LR4, is there a way to reprogram the speedo and odometer to be correct to that diameter?

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Gap Diagnostics IID2 you can program in an offset in %. But this will change with speed and gear.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have them prior to my Zeons.
They wore out in about 15K.
Had minor issue in the fall and spring with freezing rain, sleet, and light snow.
I do use these on my wife's e90 as a summer tire with no issues though.

I used to run the old DWS on my allroads and they were done by 20K to 25K miles. Maybe the DWS are better left to lighter vehicles and I should just get a new set of Zeons. Thanks for your input!

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have almost 20k miles on the current set on my X5. Have not rotated once. They are smoother than when new and no cupping or undue wear.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When fitting plus sizes to the LR4, is there a way to reprogram the speedo and odometer to be correct to that diameter?

There's not a hell of a lot of change with the plus sized tires that fit without major modifications. We are talking just a few mph difference.

You can use this calculator to see the difference:
https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

Stock tires are 255/55/19 and the most common and largest diameter tires fitted without modifications to our LR4s are 265/65/18. The actual change in real world terms are an actual 68.29 mph when your speedo reads 65 mph.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely not a lot. I only programmed a +3% difference with the IID2 tool. More for piece of mind really at highway speeds for the wife.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99