HD vs non-HD package LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a 2015 Lux with HD. Will NEVER be fully utilized. 105,000 miles with oil changes every 7500 from 0-38k. 38K to 105 every 5-7k. She might trade up to a Landmark White/Beige with lower miles and equal maint to offset the HD loss. She will never take this truck offroad!

Last edited:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The locker engages w/out being in 4Lo it sounds like. I had no idea. The LR4 can put the power down to the pavement perfectly. I had tested the rear locker by watching the 4X4 screen in the infotainment center while in 4Lo to see it work with the icon changing status to indicate lock/unlocked mode.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The locker engages w/out being in 4Lo it sounds like. I had no idea. The LR4 can put the power down to the pavement perfectly. I had tested the rear locker by watching the 4X4 screen in the infotainment center while in 4Lo to see it work with the icon changing status to indicate lock/unlocked mode.
Yea. If you get freaky it’ll go 2/3s lock when you power out of a corner. You gotta be pretty deep in the throttle but it’ll do it.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. If you get freaky it’ll go 2/3s lock when you power out of a corner. You gotta be pretty deep in the throttle but it’ll do it.
Corvette started doing that in 2017 using an e-diff locker instead of a mechanical limited slip (which worked really well). Land Rover was ahead of them by several years. I'm going to leave the 4X4 info on and watch for the lock icon. Exciting news. As I learn more about the LR4 the more advanced I realize it is.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corvette started doing that in 2017 using an e-diff locker instead of a mechanical limited slip (which worked really well). Land Rover was ahead of them by several years. I'm going to leave the 4X4 info on and watch for the lock icon. Exciting news. As I learn more about the LR4 the more advanced I realize it is.
Sport mode, TC off, don’t roll it.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sport mode, TC off, don’t roll it.
That was a great suggestion. I'm really enjoying the locking action. I was previously looking at the G Class and a big want was the 3 lockers. It was my only other choice, but much more expensive and lots of rust problems. The Land Rover turned out to be the better option because with the G Class you can't put the lockers on unless its in 4LO. I just went up my driveway and experienced the first full diff lock at low speed. It felt pretty good tbh with an audible clack. It felt like I had more power right there because the LR4 knows how to put the power down on the streets.

Previous to that experience, I was getting what seem like partial locking but I have no idea how the diff works and if it is really a partial lock. The center and rear diff icons on the 4X4 info screen would change orange, but the outer diameter of the icon has white parts indicating a partial lock because only 1 outer section of the icon turned orange (or black whatever it is). With the driveway experience, there was no white bars so that seemed like a full lock plus I heard the clack at the same time the icon fully illuminated orange. What does it mean when the icon is orange but still has white parts to it?

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The center and rear diffs are progressively locking. Think LSDs with the ability to go full lock. The computers figure out what is best and give you that.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Anyone's interested, a facebook friend (old high school classmate) is selling her ‘16 w/ HD package

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72