HD vs non-HD package LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way I found was to look for the extra switch on the console in photos
The V8's all have the 2 speed transfer case, so that doesn't work on anything 2013 or older.

The best way used to be to run the vin through Topix, but I think you have to pay for that feature now.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The V8's all have the 2 speed transfer case, so that doesn't work on anything 2013 or older.

The best way used to be to run the vin through Topix, but I think you have to pay for that feature now.

For 2013 or older, the vindecoderz site still works. Locking diff will show up as "Rear Axle Differential - Rear Axle Locking Diff [027CC]"

Topix unfortunately has become pay to play, and its not cheap if you just sign up for a day or week of access...

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this guy's video pretty informative.
The thing he pointed out is that you can visually inspect the rear axle and there is a mechanism that engages the locked differential. I would feel the most confident in that method because you are actually putting eyes on the vehicle to confirm the equipment (or lack thereof). The problem is that you need to know what you are looking for and where to find it.

The vindecoderz.com build list for my rig was eerily accurate down to the most minor detail. The one question is if something was modified or customized downstream. For instance, I was chatting with the local sales guy that imports a lot of Land Rovers from just across the border in Canada. He was saying that Richmond, BC has more millionaires and billionaires per capita than any other place in North America and that they will custom order the Land Rovers or order them and have them customized, so they get a lot of premium stuff that isn't entirely standard.

My problem with the gunning it uphill thing (which I tried) is that I wouldn't feel confident that I was doing it right or the system wasn't interpreting the conditions in such a way as to not command the rear axle to lock. For instance, I saw a video where a guy was showing an image of his 4x4 display as he was slogging through a foot of mud on a rutted dirt road and the center locker would flash briefly as orange locked and then go right back to showing green unlocked. To me, that really didn't confirm much, other than the fact that you can go through some pretty nasty stuff without locking differentials even factoring in.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The people ordering Land Rovers in the lower mainland of British Columbia aren't slumming around in Discoverys. The centerdiff will lock and unlock as needed.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The locking mechanism on the rear differential is pretty obvious. IDK what an open differential looks like, but I assume it does not have a block on the side of it with wires going to it.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 2012 LR4 with the HD Package for sale in my area (Greater Seattle). Has 112,000 miles. Don't know anything else about it. Not sure I'm interested, but thought I'd pass it along.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found another 2012 LR4 for sale in the Spokane area with a locking rear differential. Pretty nice looking bronze. Being sold through a curbside dealership, but the price isn't bad.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to go with KTM and Avslash. A 4x4 without 4 low and a CLD is just a mall crawler. I would not worry too much about the LR4 having rear lockers or not. Certainly worth hunting for, but you can always add ARB front lockers. Which is high on my “wanna get” list. And 4 low goes without saying. Ya gotta have it for all the reason previously stated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM