Help! Its Smoking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landonhawkins23

Reaction score
Same problem with my vacuum pump, wife said she noticed white smoke from the exhaust when she starts it in the morning. I crawl underneath and noticed on the plastic piece attached to the vacuum pump(sorry I don't know what it's called) seems to have a decent leak. Would I need to replace the whole pump? Or can I somehow seal this leak? Any advice greatly appreciated. 2010 5.0 LR4 135K miles
PXL_20230603_024534535.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230603_024544976.jpg
    PXL_20230603_024544976.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 26

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I crawl underneath and noticed on the plastic piece attached to the vacuum pump(sorry I don't know what it's called) seems to have a decent leak. Would I need to replace the whole pump? Or can I somehow seal this leak? Any advice greatly appreciated. 2010 5.0
If you want the leak stopped long term, replace the entire pump.

I tried to add sealant to the pump (including the plastic fitting, which was leaking like yours is) and this reduced the oil leak, but never stopped it completely. I installed a new OEM Pierburg pump in Sept-2021, and that cured the leak.

I did not have any white smoke - that alone would be reason to replace the pump. You don't want oil getting into the combustion chamber.

landonhawkins23

Reaction score
If you want the leak stopped long term, replace the entire pump.

I tried to add sealant to the pump (including the plastic fitting, which was leaking like yours is) and this reduced the oil leak, but never stopped it completely. I installed a new OEM Pierburg pump in Sept-2021, and that cured the leak.

I did not have any white smoke - that alone would be reason to replace the pump. You don't want oil getting into the combustion chamber.
I personally haven't seen the white smoke, nothing abnormal anyways. What additional damage can be done by waiting? Just curious. It started leaking about a week ago. What are the signs it will begin to fail?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally haven't seen the white smoke, nothing abnormal anyways. What additional damage can be done by waiting? Just curious. It started leaking about a week ago. What are the signs it will begin to fail?
I'm not exactly sure - I only know what other forum members have reported where the vacuum pump can start to allow oil entering the intake, which isn't good. The external leak is just a nuisance. If your wife is just seeing normal condensation / smoke on cold starts in the morning, this may not be related to the vacuum pump at all; in which case there's no rush to replace the vac pump.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im getting white smoke under wot and oil was being sucked into the intake. cant imagine what an engine rebuild is going to cost.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I budgeted $19k for a rebuild. $14k for a reman V8 Land Rover approved engine and the rest in labor but parts that need to be replaced while your in there could bring that cost up. It could be a blown head gasket but if its from overheating then the engine would likely need to be replaced since the block could have damage.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my engine never overheated - compression and leak down tests being done soon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV