HID install issue - DDM tuning HID kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using DDM's kit for other cars and it works great, however, on the LR4, it's giving me fits. The driver side works wonder but the passenger side would stay on for about a second before shutting off. I tried swapping the ballast, bulb and even swapped ballast/bulb from an old H11 kit and it would only work on the driver side and not passenger. Whatever combination I try, the driver side's no problem and passenger side would turn on for a second before turning off. What am i doing wrong???

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the temperature outside when you fire up the bulbs? try this... turn the light switch to off with the car off. turn on car and drive around for 3 min, turn on lights. do they fire up then?

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll try your suggestion but i doubt temp has anything to do with it. As i stated, i swapped the ballast/bulb around and it's always the passenger side giving me issues.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had them for about six months with absolutely no problems. Since you swapped everything around, it doesn't sound like it's a particular ballast or bulb. I know this is a waste of money, but I would probably get a new kit or call DDM and get their thoughts.

Sorry you are having this issue... I wish I had better answers... This is very frustrating!!!

I hope you can get it work as I LOVE the HID lights.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll try your suggestion but i doubt temp has anything to do with it. As i stated, i swapped the ballast/bulb around and it's always the passenger side giving me issues.
they do, i assure you. i've also used ddm kits on my other cars without issues. but on a cold start for my lr4 when the temp is below 40, the lights do not fire up right.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in socal the temp is around 60 when I installed so that shouldn't be an issue. HOWEVER, this is the strangest thing...when i start the car, if i leave the lights off, rev the engine for couple of seconds then turn on the lights, both lights work perfect. If i don't rev, the passenger side will turn on and shut off immediately!?!?!?!?!? I've tried this many times and same result. This makes me think that somehow the passenger side isn't getting enough power...but why?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in socal the temp is around 60 when I installed so that shouldn't be an issue. HOWEVER, this is the strangest thing...when i start the car, if i leave the lights off, rev the engine for couple of seconds then turn on the lights, both lights work perfect. If i don't rev, the passenger side will turn on and shut off immediately!?!?!?!?!? I've tried this many times and same result. This makes me think that somehow the passenger side isn't getting enough power...but why?
That's very weird! It sound like a battery issue or something to do with the power supply to the passenger light. Especially since you already switched out the ballasts. Maybe it's the stock wiring? This sucks!

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i think it was discovered in another thread that the LR4 does not crank out enough power for the hids from cold start. this only happens to me when the temp is sub 40 degrees. other than that it fires up just fine. did you get the 35w kit? or the 55w?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it was discovered in another thread that the LR4 does not crank out enough power for the hids from cold start. this only happens to me when the temp is sub 40 degrees. other than that it fires up just fine. did you get the 35w kit? or the 55w?
ycharlie, great question... I am wondering the same thing if he is using the 35W? I would imagine there could be juice issues using 55W.

I think I have the same kit as you and it works great. I have even been in Yosemite in the evening 20 degrees and it fired up fine. I love my lights so much I have a spare unopened kit ready to install if a bulb burns out! :) How long do these last anyway? I've had mine for about 8 months so far.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using DDM's kit for other cars and it works great, however, on the LR4, it's giving me fits. The driver side works wonder but the passenger side would stay on for about a second before shutting off. I tried swapping the ballast, bulb and even swapped ballast/bulb from an old H11 kit and it would only work on the driver side and not passenger. Whatever combination I try, the driver side's no problem and passenger side would turn on for a second before turning off. What am i doing wrong???

Not enough juice. You need the relay harness that connects the ballasts to the battery. You can order that from DDM tuning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90