HID install issue - DDM tuning HID kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not enough juice. You need the relay harness that connects the ballasts to the battery. You can order that from DDM tuning.

I have the harness but have never used it. Who else here have installed this? Was it difficult?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not enough juice. You need the relay harness that connects the ballasts to the battery. You can order that from DDM tuning.
I wonder why he would need to use the harness? A bunch of us have made the upgrade without these power issues? Maybe the problem with lack of firing at colder temps may be remedied using this harness? Either way, temperature isn't his issue being he is in S. CA.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder why he would need to use the harness? A bunch of us have made the upgrade without these power issues? Maybe the problem with lack of firing at colder temps may be remedied using this harness? Either way, temperature isn't his issue being he is in S. CA.

These ballasts require a large draw of power to fire up. It seems like the passenger side isn't getting enough power. I had no issues when I installed the DDM kit on my 2010 HSE. But the people at DDM strongly recommended I use the harness. I ended up not using it. I think the issue will be fixed by using the harness.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These ballasts require a large draw of power to fire up. It seems like the passenger side isn't getting enough power. I had no issues when I installed the DDM kit on my 2010 HSE. But the people at DDM strongly recommended I use the harness. I ended up not using it. I think the issue will be fixed by using the harness.
Now I wonder if I should use the harness :)

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I wonder if I should use the harness :)

If you are not having any issues, you probably wouldn't need it. Mine never gave me issues, but then again I had them for a 3 months brfore I traded it in.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Baobay, are you sure that the headlights aren't already running on relays? My '97 Defender has them running off relays as wired from the factory.

On a related note, has anyone seen a source for wiring diagrams for the LR4?

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using the 35W kit so theoretically, it's not drawing any extra juice. For sure temp is not a factor here in SoCal. I am still puzzled however for the past couple of days, I've been leaving the lights on auto and that seem to turn the lights on with no problem. However, once i switch the toggle to off and then turn it back on, the passenger side would give me the same trouble...then it's back to off, rev, on, and the light would come on. I am going to order the harness from DDM and see if that cures the problem.

if anyone's using the additional harness, it would be great if you can show me a picture of exactly what I need to connect.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baobay, are you sure that the headlights aren't already running on relays? My '97 Defender has them running off relays as wired from the factory.

On a related note, has anyone seen a source for wiring diagrams for the LR4?

Hi captain,
When an aftermarket HID kit is installed, they recommend a relay harness to power the ballasts directly from the battery since the factory wires ,which are designed for halogen lights, may not be rated to carry a large enough bollus of juice that is required to start up the HID bulbs. The rating is 35w, but to fire up the xenon gas In the hid bulbs at start up (from cold)requires more juice. Hence, the colder the outside temps, the more juice is required. I think that's the problem LR4TQ is dealing with. I'm no expert, but I think that's the problem.
I personally never had any issues with my HIDs which I installed them on my 2010 without a harness. But I only had it 3 months after the HIDs were installed.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Thanks Baobay. I understand the idea behind adding the relay circuit. But it is common for many modern cars to already have it. Adding it to one's LR4 might not only be reduntdant (i.e. putting a relay into a circuit that already has one) but it might also fail to solve the problem.

If there was a way we could look at the schematic (without paying for a subscription on the Topix board :mad:) it would be possible to tell if the headlights are already driven through a relay. That's why I asked about a source for the circuit diagram.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Baobay. I understand the idea behind adding the relay circuit. But it is common for many modern cars to already have it. Adding it to one's LR4 might not only be reduntdant (i.e. putting a relay into a circuit that already has one) but it might also fail to solve the problem.

If there was a way we could look at the schematic (without paying for a subscription on the Topix board :mad:) it would be possible to tell if the headlights are already driven through a relay. That's why I asked about a source for the circuit diagram.

That's what I thought so I don't really understand why you'd need an additional wire especially the LR can be optioned with HID. Pretty sure the existing harness can supply the needed power. However, since i am having this issue, maybe they didn't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90