HID installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, George!

I am just trying to figure out when the order will be shipped! :)

-David

My order shipped out of China. Took a little over a week for me to get it. Since you are on the west coast it should be quicker. I called them and inquired as to why it shipped out of china and not CA where they are located. they said that due to quality control issues they started shipping directly from the factory. There should have sent you a tracking number when you paced the order. They have a very good customer service dept. You can call them if you think it's taking too long.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My order shipped out of China. Took a little over a week for me to get it. Since you are on the west coast it should be quicker. I called them and inquired as to why it shipped out of china and not CA where they are located. they said that due to quality control issues they started shipping directly from the factory. There should have sent you a tracking number when you paced the order. They have a very good customer service dept. You can call them if you think it's taking too long.
Hi George,

I had not heard anything from them since I placed my order last Sunday, but just received an e-mail that the order has shipped. I checked the tracking and my unit is also coming from China. That should work out fine, as the extra light caps should be here next week as well as the lights - so I can install the new lights next weekend.

I was chit chatting with a cop in my town and was mentioning the HID lights and he told me that most cops are looking for a "package deal" when it comes to illegal aftermarket modifications. He said if the headlights are crazy bright or purple they will pull the guy over, but most times the people they pull over have neon lights on the bottom and really have other things going on - speeding, etc. He said on a brand new Land Rover, as long as they look similar to OEM, no one will bother me.

With that said, I live in a pretty upscale town and almost every other car is a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover, etc. so you see TONS of HID lights on the road. Also true, in general, to the entire SF Bay area. So, as you had stated, I will be fine! :)

I will definitely keep you posted - but hopefully next weekend I will be doing the lights. I am so excited! :)

Oh, how did you store your CV bulbs in case you wanted to install them back? I am just going to carefully wrap them in a towel and package them up!

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi George,

I had not heard anything from them since I placed my order last Sunday, but just received an e-mail that the order has shipped. I checked the tracking and my unit is also coming from China. That should work out fine, as the extra light caps should be here next week as well as the lights - so I can install the new lights next weekend.

I was chit chatting with a cop in my town and was mentioning the HID lights and he told me that most cops are looking for a "package deal" when it comes to illegal aftermarket modifications. He said if the headlights are crazy bright or purple they will pull the guy over, but most times the people they pull over have neon lights on the bottom and really have other things going on - speeding, etc. He said on a brand new Land Rover, as long as they look similar to OEM, no one will bother me.

With that said, I live in a pretty upscale town and almost every other car is a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover, etc. so you see TONS of HID lights on the road. Also true, in general, to the entire SF Bay area. So, as you had stated, I will be fine! :)

I will definitely keep you posted - but hopefully next weekend I will be doing the lights. I am so excited! :)

Oh, how did you store your CV bulbs in case you wanted to install them back? I am just going to carefully wrap them in a towel and package them up!

-David

I placed the CV's I took out of the LR4 in the Fogs of my wife's car. They match her OEM HIDs well. I have an extra brand new set of CVs in my LR4 in the storage bin at all times in case a bulb burns out. The HIDs are supposed to last much longer than the halogens. When I ordered the CVs months ago, i ordered an extra pair to keep as spare. I would wrap them in buble wrap and place them in a hard container to avoid crushing them accidentally, and I would keep them in the vehicle as spare in case you neeed them on the road. You don't do much driving however, so you can just store them at home. I go skiing in NH in the winter and I want to be able to replace a bulb right then and there if one goes out. As you know, it gets pretty dark pretty quick up there in the winter time.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any modification to the light housing is illegal. this also includes using non-oem bulbs, such has the philips. every car is different. fortunately, with our cars after the bulb swap the beam cut-off is pretty much identical to oem, just brighter and whiter. you can do a quick comparison aiming it at a garage door and do a before and after comparison.

Non-OEM bulbs? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Replacing your H11 bulbs with another bulb company that make H11s is 100% fine and DOT certified. Did you know the OE H11 bulbs in the LR are Philips? Land Rover does not make lightbulbs!

I bet you that if you called LR and told them your H11 bulb blew they'd tell you to run down to Pepboys or Kragans for a replacement, manufacturer of choice.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading through this thread is making the HID mod very temping.

David, did yours arrive? Did you get the 6000k?

I'm curious because I went back to my old BMW M3 forums and it was mentioned that 4500k was closest to BMWs OE look.

I don't know if 6000k will be too blue, it was mentioned.

Anyway, I'm excited to see your mod. This is SO temping!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm curious because I went back to my old BMW M3 forums and it was mentioned that 4500k was closest to BMWs OE look.

Hello Count,

George (baobay) did a lot of research as far as which type of bulb to get to make them as OEM looking as possible and went with the 35W, 6000K. I believe this is similar to what Land Rover uses. I have been looking at a lot of YouTube videos and two other people I know with BMWs who did the 6000K and they are NOT too blue in real life. They tend to show up more bluish in pictures and video, but in person they look almost identical to the OEM HID lights. In person, they look AWESOME and both these kits were DDM.

I ordered the 35W, 6000K as well, but they are still in transit from China. I should be getting them next week and then will likely do the modification next weekend as I am also expecting my extra two caps to arrive at Land Rover of Redwood City.

I sent you a private message explaining how I plan to keep my Philips CV bulbs and extra caps handy in order to change them back if there are any issues or if I need to bring my Land Rover in for service. I am not too worried about moisture getting into the light well, as the bulbs seem to really be sealed in there with a robber stopper thing and you can use electrical tape and make sure they are well-sealed. George (baobay) put a small hole in his caps and the wires came out and everything fit very clean and snug and so far no moisture.

I am so excited to get them this week and will definitely take pictures next weekend. Plus, you are always welcome to see them in person as we are not too far from each other. I like the CVs, but these HIDs look awesome!

I'll keep you posted!

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait, David. HIDs are HIDs, you can't beat the real thing.

Hmmmm... I may need to order ASAP.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait, David. HIDs are HIDs, you can't beat the real thing.

Hmmmm... I may need to order ASAP.
Hey Count,

I agree completely! I like the CVs a lot, but nothing compares to the look of the real HIDs. I was really impressed seeing the two BMWs with the DDM kits, very nice light output and a great crisp white. I had my lights on near them and there is just no comparison really.

They take awhile to get so definitely order some if you want them. I'll keep you updated and take pics one I get them.

Have a good weekend!

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hi Count,
The 6000k has a bluish tint to it, but the light is mostly white. You can go with 5000k and get a slightly whiter light. With 4500k you'll start getting some yellow. 3500 is yellow as is used for fog lights mostly. I believe ycharlie is running 3500 k in his fogs and 6000k in his high beams and he has pictures of it in his thread. All HID companies I spoke with recommended 5000 or 6000 k if you ant to go with the OEM look. I went with 6000k since it is one most people get and I saw ycharlies photos and I was impressed.
To give you an idea, the 6000 k color temperature is very similar to the LED signature light color. Very similar light. White with a bluish tinit. I myself like the bluish tint and I think it makes it easier to see in the dark. If you want less blue go with 5000k. 6000k is The color most recommended and most installed in high beams according to the companies I spoke with. I believe the OEM ones in LR are 6000k or close to it. Don't know that for a fact but I compared my HIDs with my friends RR OEM HIDs side by side and they look pretty similar.
Ycharlie, you have had these much longer than I have, any input?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo