HID installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you considering a HID retrofit, read this article before proceeding. Basically all aftermarket kits are for off road only and HID bulb retrofitted in optics designed for halogen bulb will cause glares to oncoming traffic in various amount.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

If you don't care, go ahead.
If you do, only proper way to retrofit HID is to replace entire light assembly or take it apart and retrofit the projector assembly designed for HID bulb.

There is a possibility that LR4's optic was designed in a way that retrofitting HID bulb will produce minimal glare or even not at all but I bet no one can produce technical data and guarantee that no glare to oncoming traffic will be produced in under "all' driving conditions when HID bulbs are retrofitted.

Plus there is a reason that factory HID lamp requires self leveling mechanism and halogen lights don't.

I've done a HID retrofit my self even as early as 2003 but haven't done it since learning about it more.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you considering a HID retrofit, read this article before proceeding. Basically all aftermarket kits are for off road only and HID bulb retrofitted in optics designed for halogen bulb will cause glares to oncoming traffic in various amount.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

If you don't care, go ahead.
If you do, only proper way to retrofit HID is to replace entire light assembly or take it apart and retrofit the projector assembly designed for HID bulb.

There is a possibility that LR4's optic was designed in a way that retrofitting HID bulb will produce minimal glare or even not at all but I bet no one can produce technical data and guarantee that no glare to oncoming traffic will be produced in under "all' driving conditions when HID bulbs are retrofitted.

Plus there is a reason that factory HID lamp requires self leveling mechanism and halogen lights don't.

I've done a HID retrofit my self even as early as 2003 but haven't done it since learning about it more.

Dear tjp74,
Thanks for the article. The LR4 projectors are designed for HIDs. It is the reflector type lights that can cause glare. The cutoff is very sharp and low enough not to disturb oncoming traffic.

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi George,

Thanks for the confirmation! Yes, I ordered the H11 for the low-beam. Here is exactly what I ordered last night:

QTY Item Information Item Number Price
DDM HID Kit, 35W, H11, 6000K
Bulb Color: 6000K
Bulb Type: H11
Wattage: 35 Watt
DDM35W.H11.6000K $45.00

I will let you know about the caps.

Thanks, David

Did you get the slim ballast or standard? I didn't see where that option was shown. I'd like to see what the difference is in standard vs slim as shown in the previous pix.

Thanks,
Tim

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get the slim ballast or standard? I didn't see where that option was shown. I'd like to see what the difference is in standard vs slim as shown in the previous pix.

Thanks,
Tim
Hello Tim,

I ordered the slim ballast, even though it's not evident in my order information that I pasted to this thread. Here is a link to what I ordered:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

The rest of the details are in my order. I was told that the standard ballast (which is $10 cheaper) still fits well, but I wanted to go with the slim ballast.

I will let everyone know how it goes!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you have to take the HIDs out every time the car needs servicing. I don't think they'll even notice. Especially on the drivers side. They won't see anything. Good. Luck with the KIT. it really is an easy install and the results are worth it. Let us know about the caps also.
Thanks,
George
Hi George,

I ordered the caps today - they were $26.00 per cap, a bit pricey, but worth it for my own piece of mind. That way I can have some extra caps when I turn the car in or have issues. I ordered them from my local Land Rover dealership. They were not in stock, so they ordered them from the UK.

I am planning to put a hole or lip in the extra caps. Once you fed the wires through, how did you seal it? Did you tape it up? I see the wires through your cap, but it looks pretty snug.

Thanks so much for all your help .... I'm hoping to do it this weekend!

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi George,

I ordered the caps today - they were $26.00 per cap, a bit pricey, but worth it for my own piece of mind. That way I can have some extra caps when I turn the car in or have issues. I ordered them from my local Land Rover dealership. They were not in stock, so they ordered them from the UK.

I am planning to put a hole or lip in the extra caps. Once you fed the wires through, how did you seal it? Did you tape it up? I see the wires through your cap, but it looks pretty snug.

Thanks so much for all your help .... I'm hoping to do it this weekend!

-David

The kit comes with a seal already attached to the wires. All you need to do is drill a hole the size of a nickel, large enough for the plugs to pass through, and the seal they provided fits perfectly and snugly. Use a large drill bit and enlage the hole by going sideways in a circular motion until you get it large enough for the largest plug to pass through. This is approximately the size of a nickel.
Install everything first, make all the connections, make sure everything works and then drill the holes. Make sure you get some outdoor double sided mounting tape to mount the ballasts. There is plenty of space behind the light on the passenger side and enough space on the driver side. Pretty easy instal. Let me know if you have any questions. The HID light will match the color of the Signature LEDs nicely!
George

Last edited:

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear tjp74,
Thanks for the article. The LR4 projectors are designed for HIDs. It is the reflector type lights that can cause glare. The cutoff is very sharp and low enough not to disturb oncoming traffic.

Manufacture will never design something for a non intended use. LR4's projector designed for helogen bulb is intended and DOT approved for H11 bulb type only and the projector designed for HID is intended for D3S bulb type. Aftermarket HID kit has D3S hid bulbs (could even be older D2 type) modified with H11 base so bulbs can be physically installed into the projector designed for H11 bulb.

Is the reflector design/shape identical on both projectors? may be but no one can claim that with 100% certainity. Will every aftermarket HID kits have correctly modified bulb so that it is properly aligned in the optic and will not produce any more glare then the halogen type? Hope so.

Does anyone care? probably not.

I am not here to argue that HID lamp in helogen projector will produce glare. Just want to see everyone making informed desicion based on facts not on speculation or assumption.

It's a fact that aftermarket HID retrofit is illegal and violates DOT rule. If you get into a serious accident at night, I hope other party's insurance doesn't notice that you had illegaly modified headlights.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manufacture will never design something for a non intended use. LR4's projector designed for helogen bulb is intended and DOT approved for H11 bulb type only and the projector designed for HID is intended for D3S bulb type. Aftermarket HID kit has D3S hid bulbs (could even be older D2 type) modified with H11 base so bulbs can be physically installed into the projector designed for H11 bulb.

Is the reflector design/shape identical on both projectors? may be but no one can claim that with 100% certainity. Will every aftermarket HID kits have correctly modified bulb so that it is properly aligned in the optic and will not produce any more glare then the halogen type? Hope so.

Does anyone care? probably not.

I am not here to argue that HID lamp in helogen projector will produce glare. Just want to see everyone making informed desicion based on facts not on speculation or assumption.

It's a fact that aftermarket HID retrofit is illegal and violates DOT rule. If you get into a serious accident at night, I hope other party's insurance doesn't notice that you had illegaly modified headlights.

Thanks for the info. The fact is I have done the mod and am very happy with it. The brightness and glare is no more than my other cars with OEM HIDs. Just curious, can you point me to the DOT law which says putting any aftermarket HID kit is illegal. I know there are rules regarding brightness no matter what kind of light it is, but I do not think there is anything referring to HIDs specifically.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The fact is I have done the mod and am very happy with it. The brightness and glare is no more than my other cars with OEM HIDs. Just curious, can you point me to the DOT law which says putting any aftermarket HID kit is illegal. I know there are rules regarding brightness no matter what kind of light it is, but I do not think there is anything referring to HIDs specifically.

any modification to the light housing is illegal. this also includes using non-oem bulbs, such has the philips. every car is different. fortunately, with our cars after the bulb swap the beam cut-off is pretty much identical to oem, just brighter and whiter. you can do a quick comparison aiming it at a garage door and do a before and after comparison.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any modification to the light housing is illegal. this also includes using non-oem bulbs, such has the philips. every car is different. fortunately, with our cars after the bulb swap the beam cut-off is pretty much identical to oem, just brighter and whiter. you can do a quick comparison aiming it at a garage door and do a before and after comparison.

The cutoff is actually very slightly lower in the LR4 than my other car with OEM HIDs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72