HID installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The fact is I have done the mod and am very happy with it. The brightness and glare is no more than my other cars with OEM HIDs. Just curious, can you point me to the DOT law which says putting any aftermarket HID kit is illegal. I know there are rules regarding brightness no matter what kind of light it is, but I do not think there is anything referring to HIDs specifically.
I am also interested in why they are illegal? I knew about lights being too bright, but not that the non-OEM lights were illegal.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not realize the kits were illegal? I thought it was fine as long as the lights were not too bright.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not realize the kits were illegal? I thought it was fine as long as the lights were not too bright.

Spoke with my neighbor this morning who happens to be a leutenant in the State PD regarding the legality of HIDs. he mentined to me that he has an aftermarket 55W kit in his wife's Mercedes R350. Go figure. I understand what the argument the OP is presenting, but in the newer cars with projectors and using a 35w kit, IMHO it is a non issue..

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke with my neighbor this morning who happens to be a leutenant in the State PD regarding the legality of HIDs. he mentined to me that he has an aftermarket 55W kit in his wife's Mercedes R350. Go figure. I understand what the argument the OP is presenting, but in the newer cars with projectors and using a 35w kit, IMHO it is a non issue..
Very interesting, George!

I think it all depends on the type of HID light. While they all may be "illegal", I think LR4 owners should be fine as long as they are 35W, 6000V and not something crazy bright. I think cops probably have the biggest issues with people who go overboard on their HID lights. I would imagine that most cops would think the HID lighting is just standard (as long as it's similar to OEM) on a new LR4.

With that said, I live in CA so I am a little bit nervous in some ways....

I am really curious to hear what Count Laszlo thinks about this issue and having HIDs in CA...... Count, are you around?

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, George!

I think it all depends on the type of HID light. While they all may be "illegal", I think LR4 owners should be fine as long as they are 35W, 6000V and not something crazy bright. I think cops probably have the biggest issues with people who go overboard on their HID lights. I would imagine that most cops would think the HID lighting is just standard (as long as it's similar to OEM) on a new LR4.

With that said, I live in CA so I am a little bit nervous in some ways....

I am really curious to hear what Count Laszlo thinks about this issue and having HIDs in CA...... Count, are you around?

-David
David,
You must be kidding!!! CA is the capital of mods and HIDs. Every single place that sells these kits is on the west coast, namely CA. DDM tuning is based in CA. As you said, younare putting in a kit that is 35W which is what the OEM is and the projectors are the same. I wouldn't worry about it.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
You must be kidding!!! CA is the capital of mods and HIDs. Every single place that sells these kits is on the west coast, namely CA. DDM tuning is based in CA. As you said, younare putting in a kit that is 35W which is what the OEM is and the projectors are the same. I wouldn't worry about it.
Great point, George! :)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
Hey George,

One quick question... I was looking at videos of DDM HID lights and a few of them flicker when the car starts.... Do the bulbs do that on the LR4? it also looked like they took a few seconds to achieve their brightness?

Thanks!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey George,

One quick question... I was looking at videos of DDM HID lights and a few of them flicker when the car starts.... Do the bulbs do that on the LR4? it also looked like they took a few seconds to achieve their brightness?

Thanks!

I have not seen any flickering, but as will all HIDs, it takes a couple of seconds for the Xenon gas to heat up once ignited to achieve full brightness. Not more that 2 to 3 seconds. I have noticed that in my Lexus with OEM HIDs also.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not seen any flickering, but as will all HIDs, it takes a couple of seconds for the Xenon gas to heat up once ignited to achieve full brightness. Not more that 2 to 3 seconds. I have noticed that in my Lexus with OEM HIDs also.
Thanks, George!

Yes, I was looking at videos and only one was flickering (it was an OLD car)... The rest had this cool quick start-up, then it took a couple seconds for the light to come to full brightness. It's actually pretty cool! I was just curious if it happened to all HID lights - even OEM ones.

My previous car, an ML350, did not have HID lights, but my mom's Lexus does - I think I've sort of noticed that happening, but with hers, I see the lights leveling. Then again, I don't her car all the time as she is in MA!

Thanks for all your great advice and answering my crazy questions! :)

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, George!

Yes, I was looking at videos and only one was flickering (it was an OLD car)... The rest had this cool quick start-up, then it took a couple seconds for the light to come to full brightness. It's actually pretty cool! I was just curious if it happened to all HID lights - even OEM ones.

My previous car, an ML350, did not have HID lights, but my mom's Lexus does - I think I've sort of noticed that happening, but with hers, I see the lights leveling. Then again, I don't her car all the time as she is in MA!

Thanks for all your great advice and answering my crazy questions! :)

-David

No problem at all David. Let me know if you have any questions when you get the kit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72