HID installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Count,
The 6000k has a bluish tint to it, but the light is mostly white. You can go with 5000k and get a slightly whiter light. With 4500k you'll start getting some yellow. 3500 is yellow as is used for fog lights mostly. I believe ycharlie is running 3500 k in his fogs and 6000k in his high beams and he has pictures of it in his thread. All HID companies I spoke with recommended 5000 or 6000 k if you ant to go with the OEM look. I went with 6000k since it is one most people get and I saw ycharlies photos and I was impressed.
To give you an idea, the 6000 k color temperature is very similar to the LED signature light color. Very similar light. White with a bluish tinit. I myself like the bluish tint and I think it makes it easier to see in the dark. If you want less blue go with 5000k. 6000k is The color most recommended and most installed in high beams according to the companies I spoke with. I believe the OEM ones in LR are 6000k or close to it. Don't know that for a fact but I compared my HIDs with my friends RR OEM HIDs side by side and they look pretty similar.
Ycharlie, you have had these much longer than I have, any input?

definitely similar. though i feel the kit's output might be a tad brighter. then again i try not to stare at the lights long enough as it's not all that fun or interesting. hahaha. it's a good upgrade, guys. cheap and efficient.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely similar. though i feel the kit's output might be a tad brighter. then again i try not to stare at the lights long enough as it's not all that fun or interesting. hahaha. it's a good upgrade, guys. cheap and efficient.
Hey ycharlie,

Thanks so much for all the input. I should be getting my kit (and extra light caps) this week so I am hoping to install this weekend. I'll be sure to post pictures!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Count,
The 6000k has a bluish tint to it, but the light is mostly white. You can go with 5000k and get a slightly whiter light. With 4500k you'll start getting some yellow. 3500 is yellow as is used for fog lights mostly. I believe ycharlie is running 3500 k in his fogs and 6000k in his high beams and he has pictures of it in his thread. All HID companies I spoke with recommended 5000 or 6000 k if you ant to go with the OEM look. I went with 6000k since it is one most people get and I saw ycharlies photos and I was impressed.
To give you an idea, the 6000 k color temperature is very similar to the LED signature light color. Very similar light. White with a bluish tinit. I myself like the bluish tint and I think it makes it easier to see in the dark. If you want less blue go with 5000k. 6000k is The color most recommended and most installed in high beams according to the companies I spoke with. I believe the OEM ones in LR are 6000k or close to it. Don't know that for a fact but I compared my HIDs with my friends RR OEM HIDs side by side and they look pretty similar.
Ycharlie, you have had these much longer than I have, any input?
Hey baobay,

Just one question... In this post you mentioned replacing the "high beam", but you meant "low beam", right?

I'm just checking as I missed this before!

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey baobay,

Just one question... In this post you mentioned replacing the "high beam", but you meant "low beam", right?

I'm just checking as I missed this before!

-David

Sorry David,
I meant LOW beams.
Sorry,
George

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry David,
I meant LOW beams.
Sorry,
George
Hey, no worries man, I was just making sure I did not order the wrong bulbs! :) I should be getting the kit today or tomorrow and hopefully the replacement caps this week.

I am trying to figure out the best way to seal around the wires entering the hole in the cap. I know you said it's sealed, but I am wondering if moisture could get down into the wires? Maybe not?

Thanks!

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, no worries man, I was just making sure I did not order the wrong bulbs! :) I should be getting the kit today or tomorrow and hopefully the replacement caps this week.

I am trying to figure out the best way to seal around the wires entering the hole in the cap. I know you said it's sealed, but I am wondering if moisture could get down into the wires? Maybe not?

Thanks!

-David

the seal provided is more than sufficient. I wouldn't add anything. You'll see what I mean when you get the kit.
George

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the Philips CVs but I'm still curious about the HID upgrade kit. One question (for now, at least) - are the bulbs used in the DDM kit proprietary or are HID bulbs generally interchangeable regardless of what kit/installation you have? (their web site states: "Will this HID kit work on my vehicle? Simply put, yes; we have our own bulbs, not sold anywhere else, in every bulb type."). I would worry that if they stopped offering the HID bulb for this kit for any reason, I could be stuck with a useless upgrade that would need to be swapped out when it is time to buy new bulbs. Any input on this point?

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the Philips CVs but I'm still curious about the HID upgrade kit. One question (for now, at least) - are the bulbs used in the DDM kit proprietary or are HID bulbs generally interchangeable regardless of what kit/installation you have? (their web site states: "Will this HID kit work on my vehicle? Simply put, yes; we have our own bulbs, not sold anywhere else, in every bulb type."). I would worry that if they stopped offering the HID bulb for this kit for any reason, I could be stuck with a useless upgrade that would need to be swapped out when it is time to buy new bulbs. Any input on this point?

you can plug in most of the recent bulbs into the ballast since the plugs are compatible. i've had many different kits before and they are pretty much interchangeable. the last time i've seen an incompatible plug was probably back in 2003 with the older kits. what this means is you can get a ddm kit and use their ballast to fire up bulbs you source out elsewhere.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the seal provided is more than sufficient. I wouldn't add anything. You'll see what I mean when you get the kit.
George
i agree. i didnt think of taking pix of the installation or modifying the cap. just thought it was common sense if i do pull my headlights out again i'll take detailed pix.

the worst part was installing the leds because i kept changing the bulbs to brighter ones. too many screws involved.

i dont think i had to seal the fogs as it was easier. dont remember.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
George
Thanks, George!

This is awesome! Land Rover just called me that my extra light caps have arrived and I am expecting the HIDs today or tomorrow. Thus, I am set for my upgrade this weekend!

I'll keep everyone posted! :)

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo