HID installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAAZ227

Reaction score
baobay, quick question. Did you have to install the resistor inline with your kit to bypass the "headlight out" indicator, if there is one on the LR4. I had to do that for our E class to avoid the warning. I installed the 55W in our car and they are BRIGHT!!! I had to re-aim the beam a lot lower. They just flood the road now and illuminate road reflectors an easy 300 yards away. Basically the closest thing to driving in daylight.

And Finlay, the kit is an all inclusive plug-n-play. Bulb, ballast, harness, and resistor (if needed).Even if you added the resistor, it's also plug-n-play. As far as the holes go, I'd just reinstall some 3/4" rubber plugs when you turn the vehicle in. No one would be the wiser. Or just buy new plastic covers. I'm sure they couldn't cost too much. That being said, it'll be the best 60-70 bucks you've ever spent and you'd kick yourself for ever purchasing the CV bulbs when you could have true plug-n-play HID lights for just a little more.

Hi David,
Tape would work just fine. YOu can easily get a GREAT seal with tape. I just had a few minutes and decided to try it and it worked great and looks very clean, as if it was instaled by the factory. The kit is the 35 WATT 6000k kit. I got the slim ballast, even though you do not need it since there is plenty of space for the standard balast. The slim ballast is $10 more. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W
This is the link to the one I got.
George

I just checked the manual (2010 LR4) and it indicated the xenon are 55w. Also the halogen headlamps are H7 55w. I would like to order the kit. Do I get H7s or H11s as others have stated?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the halogens are 55W in the LR4. The OEM HIDs are 35W. If you get 55W HIDs it would be too bright but if that's what you want then go for it. You may be stopped by police depending on where you live. You need the H11 kit for the low beams. H7 is for high beams. I do not recommend HID kit for High beams.

RAAZ227

Reaction score
OK thanks! I'm going for the 35w. I guess the manual on LR site is for another market or a typo?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen both the 55W and 35W HID kits in action, and the 55W is way too bright to look OEM. The 35W, 6,000K looks awesome!

I am installing my kit this afternoon when I get home from work - so excited!!!

Pictures to follow.............

Thanks, baobay and ycharlie and everyone, for all your great help!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

One really quick question.... I was looking at the ballast last night and baobay's picture of the installation. I see where I am going to install them, but was wondering if it OK to install with the metal side down? Won't the ballast get too hot and melt the double-sided tape?

It looks like that's the way to mount it, but was wondering if it would be cooler mounting the opposite way? This is probably a stupid question.

Also, for the driver's side light, did you mount it on the metal frame under the fluid containers? Thanks!

-David

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

One really quick question.... I was looking at the ballast last night and baobay's picture of the installation. I see where I am going to install them, but was wondering if it OK to install with the metal side down? Won't the ballast get too hot and melt the double-sided tape?

It looks like that's the way to mount it, but was wondering if it would be cooler mounting the opposite way? This is probably a stupid question.

Also, for the driver's side light, did you mount it on the metal frame under the fluid containers? Thanks!

-David
i dont think it matters which way you mount it. i doubletaped it to the back of a cap of the light housing. just make sure you clean the surface well or else it wont stick.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen both the 55W and 35W HID kits in action, and the 55W is way too bright to look OEM. The 35W, 6,000K looks awesome!

I am installing my kit this afternoon when I get home from work - so excited!!!

Pictures to follow.............

Thanks, baobay and ycharlie and everyone, for all your great help!
it's all personal preference. i've seen 110w kits on cars as well, but usually for something like 10000k bulbs because they are dim for the shade, so they need more power to make up for the light loss.

IslandStyle

Reaction score
Hi All,

So glad I found this thread. I was just looking at a 10000k bulb kit this morning (Notto SE) on CarID.com for $99. This site points you to a Sylvania site which incorrectly states to use H7 for low beams. Thanks for the information as I would have gone down the wrong path for sure, as I'm interested in matching OEM HIDs.

Curious, I saw Count Laszlow's original post re: CV Ultras. Would it make sense to buy CVs for high beams and the HID 35Ws for low? Both OEM bulbs are disappointing, and I'm afraid of the light loss I'll experience when I flip between low and high beams. Make sense?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So glad I found this thread. I was just looking at a 10000k bulb kit this morning (Notto SE) on CarID.com for $99. This site points you to a Sylvania site which incorrectly states to use H7 for low beams. Thanks for the information as I would have gone down the wrong path for sure, as I'm interested in matching OEM HIDs.

Curious, I saw Count Laszlow's original post re: CV Ultras. Would it make sense to buy CVs for high beams and the HID 35Ws for low? Both OEM bulbs are disappointing, and I'm afraid of the light loss I'll experience when I flip between low and high beams. Make sense?

give it a shot. it's a cheap mod.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have HIDs in the low beams and CVs in the high beams and fogs. Very happy with this setup. 10000k is too purple and wouldnt match the OEM look. Also you loose a lot of useable light when you go that high with the color temperature. I recommend 5 or 6000k for the low beams unless you want the purple look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo