Hidden Winch Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

This is a really great write-up on doing one of these hidden installs. I want to do this mod down the road a little ways. This gives me a good idea on the work it takes to do this.

What made you decide on the Zeon 10 vs the 9.5XP? I see you said corrosion but any other reason?

I do have a question around the DRL's. Do we not have a standard DRL on the vehicles, in the headlight housing?

I just got a 2014 and I feel like I saw somewhere that we don't have DRL's. Maybe I just need to research this a little more and play with my truck but I know I saw it somewhere....

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a really great write-up on doing one of these hidden installs. I want to do this mod down the road a little ways. This gives me a good idea on the work it takes to do this.

What made you decide on the Zeon 10 vs the 9.5XP? I see you said corrosion but any other reason?

I do have a question around the DRL's. Do we not have a standard DRL on the vehicles, in the headlight housing?

I just got a 2014 and I feel like I saw somewhere that we don't have DRL's. Maybe I just need to research this a little more and play with my truck but I know I saw it somewhere....

Thanks! I chose the Zeon because of the advertised corrosion resistance it should have. Given the amount of work it takes to get it mounted and hidden and that this is my DD, I wanted anything I could get that would be less maintenance.

The LR4 doesn't come stock with DRL's. Some folks in the UK are playing with how to make the LED light up as a DRL. That is all I'm aware of.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 doesn't come stock with DRL's. Some folks in the UK are playing with how to make the LED light up as a DRL. That is all I'm aware of.

I guess this was my assumption on how the LED worked. Otherwise, what is so signature about this LED strip?

Sorry to get off topic but being that I have not turned the vehicle on in the daylight and looked at the front of it. I like having the two lights on the front for additional lighting / looks (I looked at your pictures on that as well over on Overland Portal) and would like to install those as well.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess this was my assumption on how the LED worked. Otherwise, what is so signature about this LED strip?

Sorry to get off topic but being that I have not turned the vehicle on in the daylight and looked at the front of it. I like having the two lights on the front for additional lighting / looks (I looked at your pictures on that as well over on Overland Portal) and would like to install those as well.
If you have a MY2014, then you have the LED signature lights on all the time. That was part of the changes for MY2014 and it matches the wrap-around accent lights on the LR2, Range Rover Sport, and Range Rovers.

Take a look at the front of your truck during the day, you should see it. On the MY2013 and earlier (except for 2010, where only the Lux model has it), we have signature LEDs as well, but they ONLY come on when we have the head lights (low beams) on, where as you should have the LEDs on all the time?

9052e5dc1fdbd1785680d2560d565874x.jpg

If you want to enable DRLs (the low beams), you can do that with the IIDTool.

-David

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think that starting with MY2014s the newly introduced signature LED "strips" (don't know if they are considered full blown DRLs or not in countries where DRLs are mandatory, such as Canada) will be on by default in US spec vehicles as well... I have seen quite a few 2013 RR and 2014 RRS driving around Los Angeles with those strips lit up, I must assume that's how they operate from the factory? Anyone with a MY14 NAS LR4 able to confirm?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that starting with MY2014s the newly introduced signature LED "strips" (don't know if they are considered full blown DRLs or not) will be on by default in the North American market as well... I have seen quite a few 2013 RR and 2014 RRS driving around Los Angeles with those strips lit up, I must assume that's how they operate from the factory.
Yes, that's what I thought too. I've seen a lot of new LR2s, 2014 RRS, and 2013/2014 RR and they all have the LED accent lights (like on the Audi's). I posted a photo above.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like this has come up several times. You can just flip the parking lights on too and it will light the LEDs but not the low beams.

I just leave my lights on auto for the most part.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mbw, what we are saying is that you shouldn't need to do that anymore on MY14s, the accent LEDs should always light up when you start the engine, regardless of position of the parking / headlights switch.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the IIDTool and turned on the Canadian DRL.
It pretty much condists in having the low front low beams and LED as well as rear from what I can see (works when out of Park).

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DRL are always on from factory on our NAS MY2014.

Now if I can only convince my wife to let me stick a winch in there… ahhh that would be awesome.

Nice write up.

Attachments

• _MG_7702-1.jpg
    _MG_7702-1.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 108

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72