Hitch hauler on Discovery 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a hitch hauler to haul my bike with my new Discovery 4. In order to fit it I'd need the hitch receiver.

The hauler weighs 60 lbs and the bike another 240 lbs so it would be 300 lbs hanging of the hitch... What do you think?

P.S. I tried posting pics of the hitch hauler and receiver but kept on getting an error message

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have one of the hitch mounted haulers and attach it to our LR4 for trips. I have had well over 400 lbs on it. The hitch hauler itself weighs about the same as yours, 60 pounds.

The only thing I don't like about the hitch haul platforms is, they tend to sway, tip and bang around in the reciever. I purchased one of these: http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

It really snugs things up and I have never had a problem with the hauler when used with the LR4 while using it.

I also have a Thule T2 bike rack that carries 4 bikes. The rack itself is fairly heavy and when we load 4 bikes on it, it has to weight close to 300 lbs. Never had a problem with it either.

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have one of the hitch mounted haulers and attach it to our LR4 for trips. I have had well over 400 lbs on it. The hitch hauler itself weighs about the same as yours, 60 pounds.

The only thing I don't like about the hitch haul platforms is, they tend to sway, tip and bang around in the reciever. I purchased one of these: http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

It really snugs things up and I have never had a problem with the hauler when used with the LR4 while using it.

I also have a Thule T2 bike rack that carries 4 bikes. The rack itself is fairly heavy and when we load 4 bikes on it, it has to weight close to 300 lbs. Never had a problem with it either.

Rob

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response. It's reassuring :proud:

The hauler I'm looking to get is the Ultimate MX Hauler which comes with a threaded hitch pin tightener.

The hitchrider looks like an outstanding solution for wobbly hitch applications and easy to install.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of your LR4 with the hitch mounted hauler?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It looks like a ver nice product. The only thing I see as a potential problem is how low the receiver is on the Discovery4. I know this raises up for transport, but you may want to test fit it before purchase if possible. I would hate to see you drag your tires on the ground.

Rob

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I estimated the receiver to be 16" off the ground (255/60 R18 wheel setup with a 30" diameter)... Can you confirm how high it sets off the ground on your LR4 and your wheel setup?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a picture of the hitch mounted hauler on the back of the LR4 yet, but I might be able to get one tonight. I can also confirm the height.

I should have the same ride height as you; my tire/wheel package is also 30" tall.

If the regular hitch heght is roughly 16", and the net raise of your carrier gets you another 15 inches, your tires on your motorcycle will be fairly low to the ground. I don't know what the static height of your cycles lowest point, but I'm sure the suspension sags a bit when loaded on this device.

I would also double check which hitch you have. Here in the states we have 3 versions. The early versions sat a good couple of inches lower than the latest version which I have.

Rob

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel axles on the bike hang at about the height of the skid plate which would sit 15" above the hitch height.

I'm assuming the hitch I'll get is the newer version which sets higher (closer to the bumper) which I estimated to clear 16" above the ground.

This would put my skid plate and bike wheel axles 31" above the ground. Bike wheels are approximately 26" in diameter so the lowest part of the bike tires would end up 13" below the high position of the hauler (31" above the ground).

I'm left with 18" clearance for my bike tires 16" farther behind the bumper... On a ramp style carrier wheels would sit at hitch height (16")

Did I miss anything? I will order this in the U.S. and have it shipped to Panamá so no chance for failure

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have it covered. I will measure the actual height of my reciever opening today and let you know how high/low it sits.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635