How are you getting 20mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Trynian made a great point. I always though I was getting just terrible gas mileage. However, I do have the largest Nittos you can put on a stock LR3. My speedometer is off by about 4 or 5 miles an hour, I've also tested mine with another GPS.

I also usually reset my odometer after every fill up and divide the miles by gallons into the tank. Try that, that's usually a good trick to get an idea as well.

cmotomn

Reaction score
I get 20+ mpg on my 2006 HSE during highway driving all the time. Trick is to reset the Trip counter everytime you fill-up to get the current mpg's.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Trynian made a great point. I always though I was getting just terrible gas mileage. However, I do have the largest Nittos you can put on a stock LR3. My speedometer is off by about 4 or 5 miles an hour, I've also tested mine with another GPS.

I also usually reset my odometer after every fill up and divide the miles by gallons into the tank. Try that, that's usually a good trick to get an idea as well.

Except your miles are off with the big tires as well. Figure it this way, with 32" tires you are going 6.7% farther and getting 6.7% better mileage than you think you are. 32/30=1.067
That is, assuming that the LR3 figures out the speed by axle revs.....

With stock diameter, I can get 20 hwy easy going 70-75. 80 brings it down to 18.5-19.5. Getting off the main road and starting and stopping a few times brings the avg. down drastically.

Kenjengrif

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get around 20 on the highway, but it seems I get better mileage without the cruise on- probably due to downshifting, on both uphill and downhill sections of highway. Live in northern Virginia, so hills are unavoidable. Oddly enough, load doesnt seem to make a difference, except when I put the 3700 pound Airstream on the hitch, mileage goes down to about 14-15.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've never seen anything over 18.5 on highway.. around town i get 14.8 .. i can squeak 16mpg around down if i manu-shift it.. but thats driving ol granny style which is no fun..

not to be the contrarian, screw gas milage.. how do i get more juice out of this beast?

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

TRO4

Reaction score
I own an 2006 LR3 SE - V8 and have yet to see mileage beyond 16.2 mpg.....I have put 6000 miles on so far with 3 road trips and I can see getting anything better than what I am getting.

What am I doing wrong?
If I reset my avg fuel economy screen when on the highway it will show my new instant mpg over 20 mpg. When I get back in town after a day or so of driving stop and go, it will go back to 16.6 avg mpg until it is reset again on the highway. I have a K & S air filter on mine that has improved my performance by almost 1 mpg.

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're doing a six-hour run to the Outer Banks on Saturday. I'll check mileage again.

ChuckD

A 985 mile highway round trip to Hatteras with at least a couple of miles of beach four-wheeling each day for six days produced 17.4mpg.

ChuckD

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reading after resetting the MPG calculator is hardly "instant mpg." It's simply the first data point in the average calculation. I can reset it when I'm idling downhill and get it to say 999.99 mpg but that is not representative. The LR3 does not have an instantaneous fuel efficiency calculator. The most effective thing to do is reset it when you enter the freeway for a prolonged period (say over 50 miles) and see what it reads when you exit the freeway.

Similarly, you can reset it for "around town" driving and see what it reads after 20 miles or so of stop-n-go driving.

...I consistently can get 21+ MPG between Seattle and Portland. I get 13 or so around town.

I don't have a K&N filter.

05LR3AZ

Reaction score
LR3 mpg

With Nitto 285/60/18's it registers 15.2 around town and maybe 18 or so on road trips. With the factory tires I was avg'ing 16+ with up to 22mpg from Phx to Los Angeles.

One of the things I noticed was air pressure in my tires. With 50psi rear, 45 front my fuel economy increased. Previously with the 285's it was as low as 14 or so...40+ psi rear, 40+ front...just estimates of course... :albertein

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4