How do you keep your rims clean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used clay mud with lots of rocks mixed in and drove through it, got stuck and then spin my wheels a little in it to get out.

Cleans the brake dust off but also takes off some other stuff.

IMG_20190610_180313-X3.jpg

Now we're talking. Hit those with some Krylon and carry on.

I wish the 18" steel wheels were an option back when I got my Compos. I would have gone that route based on cost. I think wheels have to be considered a consumable item if you are really working the truck. Just too many scenarios where they can take a beating to keep them looking shiny and new.

To be completely honest though, I do wash mine about every six months or so.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think wheels have to be considered a consumable item if you are really working the truck. Just too many scenarios where they can take a beating to keep them looking shiny and new.

Totally agree. You should see what my winter wheels look like after 6 winters of road salt, brake dust and infrequent washings. The grime is embedded into the finish with no hope of cleaning them up.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now we're talking. Hit those with some Krylon and carry on.

I wish the 18" steel wheels were an option back when I got my Compos. I would have gone that route based on cost. I think wheels have to be considered a consumable item if you are really working the truck. Just too many scenarios where they can take a beating to keep them looking shiny and new.

To be completely honest though, I do wash mine about every six months or so.

LOL but you live in Texas. When things get mucky up here you are pressure washing these things constantly just to see. The "crust" on the back of the rover can get a 1/4" thick. Here is mr Volvo.

111.JPG
j

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's some nice crust. One of the drawbacks to the Rover is when box mounted no garage for you!. Unless of course you have baller 10' doors..

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's some nice crust. One of the drawbacks to the Rover is when box mounted no garage for you!. Unless of course you have baller 10' doors..

We have 8' tall garage doors but still need to put the LR4 in access height to clear the top. Sometimes I forget and there is a white stripe down the top center of the Thule box where it rubs on the door weather striping.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my 7' doors it was never even a question lol. The LR4 has a high enough cD as it is so the skis just ride down the centre. Not ideal but it works.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
Just got P21s, gonna try that with the wheel wax combo. Saw a video where some dude applied Dupont Teflon to the rims, but you need to remove the wheels before doing. Seems a bit dubious imo and way too much effort.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have stock wheels which the PO had painted (or powder coated) black. Brake dust is invisible even with the OE/OEM Ferodo pads.

As mentioned previously, be careful about switching pad compounds. For light duty ceramics might be ok, but for severe duty, you may not want ceramics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72