How do you outfit the LR3 for family vacations (gear hauling)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Labs are big. Definitely going to complicate the issue. The kids and toys/gear/stuff take the middle seats, lab might take one half of the rear row of seats (if you have a 7 seater). I only had the wife and two kids, but I was able to pack a lot of gear into the rig, Tetris style, and made huge use of a roof rack. My load out included two large tool boxes and an eggcrate full of spare parts for one solo vehicle long distance off highway trek. If I had a spare tire carrier on the back, and didn't potentially need to self-recover in the middle of nowhere, I could have had a LOT more room left over.

Photos:
IMG_1643-800.gif

IMG_1647-800.gif

IMG_1646-800.gif

IMG_1227.gif

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we no longer have the LR3, and the Jeep is MUCH smaller for gear storage, I just got this:
nathandz.jpg

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a few 23 Gallon black plastic storage lockers pretty inexpensively from walmart (I think $18 each) I fit a lot of my camping gear in those and they easily strap to the roof rack, I also have a "weather resistant" Thule bag that I can pack full with soft gear, backpacks tent, folding camp chairs, etc. That bag also goes on the roof. I put dry food and things like chips /snacks, stuff that I need access into a rubbermaid container, that stacks ontop of my cooler. Which goes in the far back and gets strapped in place. It leaves enough space for 1 of the 2 far rear seats to be used. that would probably be enough room for your Lab to still lie down or more likely spin in place.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats great! a little pricey but if you really need the room a great option. I just make my 2 blue 5 gallon jugs fit in the back or strap them on top.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats great! a little pricey but if you really need the room a great option. I just make my 2 blue 5 gallon jugs fit in the back or strap them on top.

I personally think this is just too darn clever!
1095007b8c21a10a1fd687fe21864b78.jpg

Photo of the real thing that I saw at Overland Expo
523251815_QnBHc-L.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, those are some impressive packing pictures! Nice.

I currently have this large Yakima box that holds all my toys...I can squeeze in sand toys as well, but I don't currently have much more room up top with this box.

34do0pd.jpg

Maybe I could get one of those flat expedition rack/trays you guys have and put the box on top of it. Then I could lay a lot of stuff flat in the tray under the box and next to the box.

I think I may have to get one of those trailer hitch trays that I don't really like, but seem to do the trick for more stuff.

Kenjengrif

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like Oregon Inlet on the Outer Banks. I use this hitch carrier mainly so I can bring the fishing cart with me. If you have a dog that like to swim, the dog carrier matched with the rubber cargo mat is perfect for transporting a wet, sandy dog around.

Attachments

• Hitch Carrier.jpg
    Hitch Carrier.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 148

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo