How long does it take you to detail your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyeLR4

Reaction score
Let us know how you like the Flex. I had my eye on it, but I cant part with my Porter Cable. I also picked up Collinites 845 sealant to apply before the winter. Have you tried the 845 before?

I have not used 845 before. I have friends that sear by it.
I used the Flex last night on the hood. Smoooooth no vibration at all. It is really powerful for a DA. I used a tangerine Hydro tech pad with Meguair's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish then 915. Honestly I was a bit disappointed in the 915. I am sure I screwed it up somehow.
You have got to get a Flex 3401!

rattlee

Reaction score
My LR4 is exactly a year old. Never polished or waxed. Just the way it came from the factory. Do I go in for a polish and wax or should I only do they wax?

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR4 is exactly a year old. Never polished or waxed. Just the way it came from the factory. Do I go in for a polish and wax or should I only do they wax?

Might want to think about claying it to get the surface imperfections out then put your sealant and or wax on. I used a clay bar on my one week old LR4 and was amazed at the crud that came off. Made it smooth as glass before I even put the wax on.

brokenneckcp

Reaction score

Clay is definitely a good suggestion.

A polish may or may not be necessary, but if you clay your vehicle it will be. The way a polish works is by removing small minute scratches known as "spider webbing". The sharp edges of the webbing is what causes that circular "shine" when the sun hits your paint. By removing them you can bring back a glass like finish. Remember that clay bars can cause scratches (minor) and they're supposed to. A polish will easily remove those.

IF (and that's a big IF) you polish a vehicle properly, you don't need wax to see the "shine". Wax just protects. With that being said, when you take a vehicle to a car wash or detail shop they give you your vehicle back after it has been waxed. The wax does have fillers in it and can hide a poor wax job. What does this mean to you? Basically that you have to go back more often because a crappy polish job will keep showing up. A mobile detailer (a respectable one) will usually do a much better job, especially if you develop a good relationship.

SO!... After a year, you definitely want to clay that bad boy, polish it up good, and if you usually go a year between this type of care use a SEALANT instead of a wax. The polymers in the sealant are bonded together differently than those in a wax and protect for 6 months to a year, where as a premium wax really only lasts 3 months depending on how you store the vehicle and how much you drive.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at almost 8 months with my LR4 and haven't waxed it yet. I'll try and get my hubby to do it for me. Is it necessary to wax it more than once a year if it's usually parked inside a garage? I have it in a garage at home and at work, so it's not parked outside much.

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
I'm at almost 8 months with my LR4 and haven't waxed it yet. I'll try and get my hubby to do it for me. Is it necessary to wax it more than once a year if it's usually parked inside a garage? I have it in a garage at home and at work, so it's not parked outside much.

check out my reply above

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not used 845 before. I have friends that sear by it.
I used the Flex last night on the hood. Smoooooth no vibration at all. It is really powerful for a DA. I used a tangerine Hydro tech pad with Meguair's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish then 915. Honestly I was a bit disappointed in the 915. I am sure I screwed it up somehow.
You have got to get a Flex 3401!

I tried out the 845 on the wheels of my fiances 2010 Tucson. Very easy to use, and left the wheels very slick. The next time I washed it, the water beaded right off the wheels and on to the ground. I was really impressed. Will see how long it lasts. I plan on doing the LR4's wheels next.

I detailed the vechicle afterwards. Clay was def. required. There was road tar everywhere. She's been using a touchless car wash for the past year. After claying I used Klasse AIO sealant, High Gloss Sealant, and topped it off with P21s 100% carnuba. This was the first time using these products and was very impressed. The vechicle looks better than new. Thinking about doing this on the LR4 before the winter.

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
So True! My first detail took about 16 hours. Wash, clay bar, extremely light compound with a random orbital to remove light swirls from the dealer, 3 coats of polish, 3 coats of wax, and top coat of sealant. You can only apply 3 coats in a 24 hour period though. So it was over the coarse of 3 days. I didn't realize when I was doing it though, cause of habit. This is what I normally do to my show cars once a year.

First, you can't have "coats of polish". Second of all, the second and third coats of wax you put on removed the wax from the prior step. Wax removes wax. So you wasted your time with those extra two rounds. Putting coats of wax is an old school method of waxing that doesn't apply to today's paint and wax technology. Third, you wasted about 14 hours.

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
I did put the sealant over the wax (synthetic). The product I used was designed to be used like this. It actually turned out really well.

Usually you would apply the sealant and then the wax. That gives you the nice wet look.

Sealant removes wax. You wasted another step. If the product you're using told you to do this, find a new product.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99