How to sell a 2016 LR4 HSE Silver Edition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartyG

Reaction score
Thanks. Interesting perspective. I felt that I should have held on to my 2012 but as in both cases the warranty is expired and my business buys the cars. So there are favorable financial reasons to move on. I drove my 2003 for 9 years until the frame became too rusted. And off roaded a lot. Anyway, I really like the look of the Defender but I can wait to get then right price for my 2016.

johnny walker

Reaction score
Most Dealers will do a trade on a new car with you bringing your LR4 buyer to the dealer. They'll charge them the $495 or what ever their dealer fee is, which you can cut off the buyers sales price. That way you get private sales price, minus dealers charge, and save the taxes from the trade. Good luck, but have to agree with the Exploder not my idea of who I'd marry looks wise. But that is the cool thing about America, everyone gets to choose.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D4 is a classic built on a serious chassis - never to be repeated by Land Rover. IF the Defender ultimately proves to be a very successful vehicle it will continue in production for years to come.

Disagree.

The D4 is not a classic. Age or origination point in time does not matter in D4' case (or any other well designed product for that matter), its the engineering, design, leading to the functionality thats what matters here.

If the functionality is current, the design is current and not outdated. And looking at whats out there today and until we are completely dependent on self driven vehicles, D4 is going to stay current even if the entire dashboards in the modern cars become one giant LCD screen with no matter how flashy the animations are.

Automobile manufacturers are not producing any innovations lately so they are totally relying on the human perception by fooling you into thinking that your only four years old car is outdated by using much cheaper to produce, visual tactics such as the LCD screens and the way the gauge cluster comes alive with multiple colors, etc.

Defying laws of physics via engineering innovations is much more expensive than producing mere visually different surfaces, shapes, and forms compared to the last MY model.

Functionality will trump any animations and short lived tech.

Now on to the D4 chassis architecture. Its not just a serious chassis. It still is the most advanced and expensive to design and produce chassis to this very day, until a more refined version or something better comes along. Every other chassis platform is decades old, whether its ladder frame only chassis or the crossover type monocoque such as the new Defender'.

Again, same logic applies here as far as a chassis architecture being advanced or archaic. The level of advancement in engineering cannot by judged by its date of creation or origination, rather, it could only be judged by the functionality and performance it delivers, period.

And so without going into details for both on road and off road benefits, a D4 trumps any chassis on the planet today.

If LR had taken the D4 chassis as the starting point for the new Defender, had refined, polished, and optimized it further, I'd have considered the new Defender. But then Joe the youtube blogger, you know, that insurance agent turned car critic would have thrown tantrum, so he was catered to by LR, vs the customer, so he can write happy tails about it in his upcoming blog. MotorTrend SUV of the year, anyone?

But then again the bare minimum requirement for any innovations in automobile engineering is to have at least one member of the executive board be passionate about the product being thought up in that meeting. Or else? Welcome to the new D5 and the new Defender with overpriced, OEM roof tent, parked in a showroom without the off road course, directly facing a BMW X5 parked at a BMW showroom across the street, with an Audi Q7 parked next door at the Audio lot. Which one of these will it be for me? :)

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing auto manufacturers are doing are adding larger touch control screens, PITA safety nannies and trying to convince consumers that 1.5L 4cylinder turbo is a suitable replacement for a 4L V6.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My business buys the cars. So there are favorable financial reasons to move on.

^^^This is the only reason I am moving on from my LR4 to a Defender. My accountant has been nagging me for years to take advantage of the Section 179 tax break. I just couldn't do it for a D5 regardless of the tax breaks.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. It sounds like it isn't the loophole it once was though. I would be buying a 4WD cargo van conversion and turning it into an over lander lol.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most Dealers will do a trade on a new car with you bringing your LR4 buyer to the dealer. They'll charge them the $495 or what ever their dealer fee is, which you can cut off the buyers sales price. That way you get private sales price, minus dealers charge, and save the taxes from the trade. Good luck, but have to agree with the Exploder not my idea of who I'd marry looks wise. But that is the cool thing about America, everyone gets to choose.

Right, this is how we bought our LR3, it is called a "courtesy trade". The seller found a RR Sport he wanted to buy at a Lexus dealer and so we just bought his LR3 from Lexus at the price we negotiated with the seller. We did not have to pay any dealer fee either, just the usual tags, title, notary kind of things plus $135.00 for labor for a full vehicle inspection as they were not allowed to sell a car without it being inspected and the report passed on to us. Their inspection did turn up a few things that were needed but the deal was plenty good enough to cover those repairs and still be less than at a dealer. It makes the paperwork go easier too at a dealer.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing auto manufacturers are doing are..... and trying to convince consumers that 1.5L 4cylinder turbo is a suitable replacement for a 4L V6.

Yes, that too, instead of working harder and further developing, refining, and simplifying already introduced innovations like auto cylinders shut off tech, etc, and working on making larger displacement engines more efficient.

You see, all this takes more R&D dollar and more importantly: the will, vs much cheaper alternative of sourcing LCDs and assigning two artists to create animations and a graphics user interfaces (GUI), plus some electrical work to run the controls.

Passively thinking about possible replacement for my 16 HD in the future when the time comes incase nothing new from the current trends/fads laden garbage thats out there today (or in the future) fits the bill. Spotted a '97 land cruiser today in an excellent condition. If I come across a low mileage one (or its lexus version), I may consider it as it will at least offer the Command Driving Position, stadium seating and great outward visibility.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72