Hummer EV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The current craze in overlanding of these folks buying maximized fullsize trucks belies the fact that their definition of "overlanding" is really just long distance driving, as there's no way you can fit those trucks on most moderate-difficulty trails.

Which is fine, but making those long-distance driving trucks also electric sort of ups the difficulty a bit. I love the idea, but until technology gets to the point that you can unfold a solar array and recharge in a few hours, you're going to be limited. And I say this as a guy who's really contemplating Rivian after watching Long Way Up.

The fold out solar array would need to be absolutely massive to do any good over a few hours charge time. :D

But ya, agreed. I feel spoiled by the capability, payload, size of the LR4 while still being somewhat small, not very long and having amazing turning radius. Even in town I kinda want the smaller size. I just can't get over how big full size trucks are now. Just the hood height is crazy, you'd need a step ladder to change a spark plug and I am 6'2"

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look at this a bit different living next to and working in a resort town where people have multimillion dollar second or third homes and $100-200k in vehicles sitting in the garage waiting for them to come to town. Given its price and HP/torque specs it’s the perfect vehicle for the place where two of the most popular vehicles are the Tesla and the Raptor. It capitalizes on the EV popularity and off-road trends to raise funds for the development of “the next big thing”. I’m not convinced the EV is necessarily it based on, among other things, conversations I’ve had with an electrical engineer friend. It certainly is where every manufacturer seems to be going. I still think it’s extremely cool and am so annoyed with the fanboys (on social media) of a certain brand who absolutely crap on anything that doesn’t start with toy and end with yoda.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They just need to make a utilitarian offroad capable EV... it doesn't need to be crazy unique, full of glitz, or waste interior space with oversized plastic trim, rollbars, and snap off doors that store in the vehicle. Give us an LR4/Defender that is a dependable electric, with the travel space of an SUV. Damn...why is that so difficult?

And at this point, Tesla has been in the market for so long it would be tough to trust any EV more than theirs because they have already been through the growing pains of what it takes to get dependability and efficiency. It feels like the big auto manufacturers are just throwing batteries and electric motors on their gas chassis as opposed to designing a new vehicle around the EV drive train and capability needs.

Cybertruck has gone too far to look different, but if/when it comes out we'll see so many of them on the roads it may start looking normal.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the Rivian? Both truck and SUV look like a good challenge to all of this.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the Rivian? Both truck and SUV look like a good challenge to all of this.
I haven’t looked into them much. The chatter I’ve heard sounds good, but there seem to be questions if they’ll make it to market? Honestly I am not a fan of EV’s, I chimed in on this thread because it started about the same time ExPo had a post on the Hummer EV and the email caught my attention.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard to find good information on the Rivian. A lot of stories seem suspicious--like they are getting paid by Rivian. One outdoor writer, Wes Siler, even said as much on his Instagram.

Watching the Long Way Up, it sort of seems like there's a lot of hangups they are glossing over because they are sponsored by Rivian. Again, it's hard to really take these EV trucks seriously as overland vehicles when you know the range is so limited. I mean, in Southern Utah you've got to pack a bunch of Jerrys full of gas if you want to go there as-is. I can't imagine looking for an electrical charging station.

In another 10-20 years, though, electric could be the best way to go.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They are going to ship with 3 wheel sizes: 20", 21", and 22" wheels running
275/65/20 (7" sidewall, 34.1" dia)
275/55/21 (6" sidewall, 32.9" dia)
275/50/22 (5.4" sidewall, 32.8" dia)

And the OEM Pirellis are some of the only tires that will work at all.
https://www.tiretechnologyinternati...-develops-unique-tire-size-for-rivian-ev.html (not a quote you ever want to see = "unique tire size")
https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/pirelli-tires-tailor-made-for-rivian

To compare, the new Defender runs (OEM):
18" 255/70/18 (7" sidewall, 32.1" dia)
19" 255/65/19 (6.5" s/w, 32.1" dia).

So....I don't like 20" wheels but at least it has 7" sidewalls. Few tire choices for at least a few years. And no aftermarket until THAT develops for new wheels.

It's hard to find good information on the Rivian. A lot of stories seem suspicious--like they are getting paid by Rivian. One outdoor writer, Wes Siler, even said as much on his Instagram.

Watching the Long Way Up, it sort of seems like there's a lot of hangups they are glossing over because they are sponsored by Rivian. Again, it's hard to really take these EV trucks seriously as overland vehicles when you know the range is so limited. I mean, in Southern Utah you've got to pack a bunch of Jerrys full of gas if you want to go there as-is. I can't imagine looking for an electrical charging station.
In another 10-20 years, though, electric could be the best way to go.

Yeah in the Rebelle Rally when they said they got 167 miles in sand (it was a 75% sized battery) so assume it to be 200+miles - that's way too low for going into the desert or backcountry.

I want to love it. I think in 10 years when batteries are better. Also it's going to start around $90K. Blech. Too bad.

Still, nice to see all the innovations.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, in Southern Utah you've got to pack a bunch of Jerrys full of gas if you want to go there as-is. I can't imagine looking for an electrical charging station.
Funny you should mention southern Utah along with the rivian. Monday night I was having a supper at the restaurant my wife manages and had a conversation with our server about my Land Rover. He was a former Jeep guy and his significant other has a GX that he had just started working on. Anyway, he was in Moab when he ran into a group of British guys driving a rubicon, a GX, a Rover (he didn’t say what model) and one other that I’m not sure what. He struck up a conversation and found out they were McLaren engineers trying determine the best attributes of each of the vehicles to use on the rivian.

By the way, it’s not THAT remote down there that you HAVE to have several Jerry cans to go anywhere. You can get in and back out of pretty much anywhere, for gas anyway. I do it as often as possible.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, it’s not THAT remote down there that you HAVE to have several Jerry cans to go anywhere. You can get in and back out of pretty much anywhere, for gas anyway. I do it as often as possible.

But that's the crux of it. They apparently experimented with "battery pack jerry cans" but gave up on the idea - probably too expensive and too risky.

With fuel - you bring what you need. With batteries, you're always constrained in time and miles. Rivian to their credit is talking about building out a charging network that would be near all the parks and outdoor spots - that's clever and may help with adoption. But a truck that's $90K, 90% written by tech nerds, and has 100-200 mile range MAX off road (especialy if you get bogged). I'll pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But that's the crux of it. They apparently experimented with "battery pack jerry cans" but gave up on the idea - probably too expensive and too risky.

With fuel - you bring what you need. With batteries, you're always constrained in time and miles. Rivian to their credit is talking about building out a charging network that would be near all the parks and outdoor spots - that's clever and may help with adoption. But a truck that's $90K, 90% written by tech nerds, and has 100-200 mile range MAX off road (especialy if you get bogged). I'll pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I get what your saying and completely agree. I have no interest in an EV personally and honestly see all of this stuff as experimental. As much as I hate to see the internal combustion engine phased out, it’s coming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV