Ideas on stopping the glare from the MY14 shift knob plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of us with MY14's I find that the "chrome" plate around the shift selector knob reflects a lot of glare in my eyes when the truck is in the right position relative to the sun. Very annoying when it happens. Anyone found a clever way to make this go away?

..mg..

Reaction score
Agreed. The only real 'fix' would be to apply vinyl wrap to the shifter trim/plate. Something like 3M Dinoc or the like. It literally does light up like a beacon when the sun hits it right... and it can also get hot enough to cook an egg.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is interesting as I have never had this issue.....

Not sure what a quality fix for this would be. Any kind of wrap covers up the LR logo. Plus not sure how easy it is to wrap around the knob or the top of the knob itself.

..mg..

Reaction score
Loss of the LR logo wouldn't hurt my feelings - it's all over the car (interior and exterior) anyway.

I've done a lot of interior trim wraps on various cars. You have to physically pull the trim (ie. dismantle the shifter trim and surround) to do a good job and to properly wrap the corners. The corners are what differentiate a hack job from a clean, OEM look.

I may tackle this eventually. There are some very quality wraps available so it's not worry over the end result that's holding me back, just the time involved.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, it's one of the few things that continues to bug me.

Wondering if a clear satin would knock down the glare?

If someone told me exactly how it comes off without snapping it, I'll be the guinea pig and paint it.

..mg..

Reaction score
^The glare bothers me less than the f___'ing glove box creak that I can't figure out haha!

I'll take a look at it - these interiors are all like puzzles. Mostly tension clips and the odd screw, but it's all plastic clipped into plastic for the most part.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^The glare bothers me less than the f___'ing glove box creak that I can't figure out haha!

I just started having this issue!! Granted, my dash has been torn apart already by the service department a few times but it bugs the Sh*t out of me!

..mg..

Reaction score
I just started having this issue!! Granted, my dash has been torn apart already by the service department a few times but it bugs the Sh*t out of me!
Haha, yeah, I despise any squeak, rattle, or creak. I've isolated my noise to the upper glove box lower hinges - it's not the cheap plastic clasp that's creaking, but the lower plastics. I need to figure out how to drop the glove boxes so I can felt tape the crap out of everything!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is interesting as I have never had this issue.....

Not sure what a quality fix for this would be. Any kind of wrap covers up the LR logo. Plus not sure how easy it is to wrap around the knob or the top of the knob itself.

The issue for me isn't the *** but the large, silver plate that surrounds it. Maybe we just get a lot more sunshine out here in the West. ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99