Increasing fuel economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Sceifer

I have a '95 Disco (3.9L V8) and I'm wondering if anyone is getting the same fuel economy I'm getting!

I get ~330km's per tank during the summer (and of course that drops during the winter.) and ya, I know the Disco is heavy but it doesn't seem quite right that a 90L tank can only get 330km's. I don't drive it hard either; I'm pretty much happy that it moves.

What kind of fuel economy are you getting?

What can I do to increase my fuel efficiency?

M

MToomey

Nothing. You can do nothing.

Just my limited experience answer.

Although I have tried several different things -

K&N Air Filter

Velocity Tuner

Borla Exhaust

These items have not helped. So good luck. I've had my Disco a whole year this very day, and there has been no hope for better gas mileage.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
light on the right foot is about all you can really do.

keep your tires inflated properly and just drive it easy.

97Disco

That seems a bit high ,I am getting 415 km to 420 km in city mode and not quite 500km on motorway cruise sett at 105kph. Mine is factory standard except I run regular unleaded and run on 245 x 75 x16 AT's and the speedo has been recaled.
Mine is a 1997 3.9

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The best way to get fuel economy on a Land Rover - Buy a Toyota Prius
The best way to get performance on a Land Rover - Buy a Lotus Esprit

M

MightyMax

^^^

Best answer i've heard all year Joey.

I get about 350 - 400km to the tank in the city.

M

meyersd

One thing that defintely increases fuel economy is tightening the gas cap. The gas cap says turn three times to keep the engine light from going on. I've noticed that when the cap is put on with one turn (or less), fuel economy drops substantially. With Premium gas(93 Octane/US) I can squeeze out 330 miles to a tank of gas. That 330 miles is contingent on me turning the gas cap at least 3 times. When it is done less than that,( I forget to check it until the next fill up) and I fill with 93 octane, I get 300miles to the tank(Or less). I see a lot of posts on here about doing things to squeeze out another mile of gas, but no one seems to say anthing about that gas cap. Doesn't hurt to try it, and it won't cost you a cent.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sceifer

Sweet, thanks for all your help guyz. I'll give it a try and hope for the best!

Now I know the fuel economy I'm getting isn't necessarily cuz of a mechanical failure somewhere... it's just how the Disco is.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try changing your oil to synthetic as well as the drivtrain. Reduced wear and friction will give you a few more Kilometers/miles per gallon. I get about 450 KM/s per tank ... don't let it get to low so I don't know how much per tank. I am due for the 48K Kilometer service and will be updating trany to syntetic.

C

capthook

Heem said:
light on the right foot is about all you can really do.

keep your tires inflated properly and just drive it easy.

Awesome advice. Properly inflated tires can make ALL the difference in your fuel economy. Also, being alot lighter on the gas as you also said makes a huge difference. I can pretty much watch the gas gauge fall if I take off from lights, ect.. so if you don't want to spend $$ go lighter on it. Either way, the Rover v8 (as i'm sure you all pretty much already know, an old Buick design) basically eats gas for breakfast, but gives loads of torque. You get what you paid for IMO, and thank god it isn't an underpowered v6

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak