Installed ARB Front Bumper (More To Come...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome Job and write up David!!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the two main issues you encountered were inaccuracy of the electrical diagrams / instructions from ARB and the issue with Parking Sensors?

If I were you, I would try and contact ARB for some clarification with their instructions. Point out your issues with the electrics in particular. I would think they would want this kind of feedback.

Great work all around. Looks amazing!
The biggest issues were the instructions, they were not clear or relevant to the NA LR4. The electronics tables were fine, but it was a bit sloppy. Certain parts of the instructions were very clear, others were quite vague. I actually am going to call ARB USA and give them some feedback.

The front parking sensors are not an issue if you keep them, as they give you paper templates and brackets to fit them, it's just you need to drill the holes. That is not an issue for me, but I did not want to use the front parking sensors at all - I don't like them. Patrick at GAP Diagnostics is sending me an update to disable my front sensors. As I mentioned in another thread, I changed them to rear only, but he said on 2012+ models they need to update to an extra feature.

My biggest complaint overall is the fact that you can't remove the headlamps or grill (not the biggest deal) without unbolting the bumper and pulling it forward. They could have updated the design slightly to allow that since it's a tiny bit of clearance needed. Plus, some of the design with the winch is a bit odd.

Overall, great product and not too difficult, just very time consuming - just know what you are doing and have at least one other person to help. I don't think this bumper can be installed solo.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome. I'd love to see a pic in the sun light of the underside of the ARB to get an idea of the approach angle and skids. I assume the ARB skids get rid of the aftermarket sump skid you had before?

The one thing I've never liked about their bumper design was having to install the winch and lift/adjust the entire assembly. You need some rope instead of cable! Lightens the front by 20lbs.

Also I always suggest when doing wiring like this to use weatherpack connectors to aid in making changes or removal in case you need to repair/replace something or take it back to stock.

Just one example kit:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/1075...9&cadevice=c&gclid=CKb8-Z7nlL4CFYw7Ogod3DEAMA

Can you add the parking aid after the fact? Is the area in the bumper reachable?
Yes, those are exactly what we used. I did not use the supplied Scotch clips, but rather some weather resistant ones like you posted. I wanted to make sure any electrical connections were extremely solid and bundled up nicely. This is really what took us the extra 2-3 hours to make sure everything was done right and wrapped up well.

By the way, I am switching to synthetic line on the winch, will definitely save me a little weight. I can switch anytime, but may need a new lead.

Yes, I think you could add the parking aid, as once you take off the 3 plates, you can access the back of the bumper. I will need to look, but it could be tough to actually get in there though to do the work of drilling, installing the bracket, etc. I am heading under there soon to do some final zip tying and wrapping, so I can let you know. I know I don't want them at all - the rear sensors and the camera, that's a different story. I don't want to lose those!

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done David, it looks like all that hard work was worth it. I was going to suggest to try physically disconnecting / unplugging the front park sensors to see if you would still get a warning or fault, but I am glad Patrick is coming through with a software fix for them.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done David, it looks like all that hard work was worth it. I was going to suggest to try physically disconnecting / unplugging the front park sensors to see if you would still get a warning or fault, but I am glad Patrick is coming through with a software fix for them.
Thanks, Umberto!

I may do that actually, but it is tough since they are part of the harness that also contains the fog lights. I have not looked closely, but I believe I may be able to unclip the sensor heads. I would like to keep them connected and neatly zip tied/protected within the bumper, so I will see if the update that Patrick is sending works - hopefully! I'd love to just disable them and keep them just in case.

I will keep you posted.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Which reminds me, time to order my IID Tool if I can figure out how.)

Among online US vendors, lucky8llc.com seems to have the best prices. You can try going through Britparts for more leads and authorized dealers here in the States and abroad (buying abroad is sometimes cheaper depending on exchange rate, since shipping charges are pretty much a non-issue for such a tiny, lightweight device.)

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done!

There is no way in hell I would be able to accomplish that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM