Intermittent rear hatch issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4_Ron

Reaction score
Hello fellow LR4 enthusiasts,

I have a 2012 LR4 HSE that has recently begun NOT releasing the rear hatch on command. I press the button above the license plate or on the key fob, and I hear the solenoid actuate, but lock(s) remains firm… not even a slight or momentary release or loosening. Any thoughts on overcoming or manually actuating the hatch release? How do I even access the mechanism… from inside the cargo area?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Classic symptoms of a failing actuator. There is lots written on this subject, including replacement videos on youtube as I recall. Scenario 1: you can get the tailgate open, and you access and replace the actuator in the rear tailgate section. Scenario 2: you cannot get the tailgate open, and (from inside the car) you need to cut through the interior covering of the tailgate to get to the cable attached to the actuator - give that a pull to get it open, then finish replacing the actuator (my recollection from other posts - I have not personally been in Scenario 2).

To try to avoid scenario 2, here is my suggestion: Leave the actuator alone for a while - maybe 20 minutes or so. Start the car so you have maximum voltage in the system. With the engine running and the actuator “rested,” hit the tailgate switch and hope the glass pops - then pull up as soon as it releases. The more you hit the button, the more tired the actuator gets. If you hit it 5 times in a row, you’ll hear that it moves less and less with each actuation. If you can get it open, put some cardboard or tape in the way so the top section cannot close again until after you replace it.

This worked for me and at least one other person on this forum. Good luck.

Peter Karalis

Reaction score
Good info folks. My rear hatch won't release from the outside anymore but if I use the key fob and pull as I'm clicking it opens. Safe to assume its still the actuator? If anyone has any insights would be appreciated. 2011 LR4.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info folks. My rear hatch won't release from the outside anymore but if I use the key fob and pull as I'm clicking it opens. Safe to assume its still the actuator? If anyone has any insights would be appreciated. 2011 LR4.

Very safe bet that it's the actuator; and also a safe bet that you are on borrowed time. Mine would also work intermittently with the fob and a well-timed pull. However I would not rely on that for very long. Once the actuator takes a dirt nap, this fix goes from fun to fiendish.

Winegrower

Reaction score
YouTube also has a couple very good videos on the issue. I noticed my original actuator sounded funny so I ordered a manual release and a new actuator and installed both at the same time. The actuator sound is definitely different and faster so I havent needed to use the manual but it's there just in case. Easy job if you pay attention to the videos.substitute actuator

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy job if you pay attention to the videos.substitute actuator

I love these guys and had not seen this video but wish I had. I bought the full replacement kit from AB which came with 3 items (one of them for the upper gate I didn’t use so I returned it). I did use the new moisture barrier they provided because the original one gets messed up when you peel it back. But I could have saved even more with this Fiesta swap. Thanks for posting.

DallasLoneStar

Reaction score
YouTube also has a couple very good videos on the issue. I noticed my original actuator sounded funny so I ordered a manual release and a new actuator and installed both at the same time. The actuator sound is definitely different and faster so I havent needed to use the manual but it's there just in case. Easy job if you pay attention to the videos.substitute actuator
I also put in the manual release. The peace of mind is nice, and also convenience as I plan on sleeping in the back during an upcoming overland trip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA