Rear hatch issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danapop

Reaction score
Hello - new year!

I bought a 2016 LR4 HSE LUX in august. It’s my first LR and I am still in the honeymoon phase…

I am having an odd issue with the reach hatch and it constantly unlocks. Goes all night, pops as soon as I start the car, etc. booked in for service Monday and the service advisor suggested it could be the battery but that makes no sense to me…

Any thoughts or suggestions?

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe an issue with the keyfob? Sending signals to the truck? Could be you have a undetected slow cabin water intrusion messing with wires? That happens from clogged sunroof drains and warped windshield cowls.

Or: its a battery. You never know with these trucks lol.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it does it when the keyfob is away from the vehicle, I’d suspect a short to power - maybe a bad switch right in that tailgate. Might check for codes.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest that before you head off to the dealer, first remove the switch mechanism from the upper hatch. The link below and the attached has pictures and links.

The rear hatch switch assembly unclips and pulls down and out much like one of the license plate lights when you want to replace a bulb.

The switch assembly is on a plug so unplug and see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, probably a new switch is the solution - something you can do yourself. In brief, the switch can become corroded internally from road salts etc; hence failure of such is not unknown.

Attachments

• Fixing the interior actuator.doc
    170 KB · Views: 54
  • JAE plug and new swiitch hanging from opening rotated.jpg
    JAE plug and new swiitch hanging from opening rotated.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 43

Mart

Reaction score
Visit the web site for powerfuluk. They cover a lot of tail gate locking issues in their videos.They also reveal that it's cheaper to replace them with a Ford part.

Winegrower

Reaction score
Last edited:

danapop

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the reply. I took it to the dealer on Monday because I have extended warranty. They found that the tailgate release switch had an intermittent internal short to ground. They are replacing the switch and tailgate release switch. $2039.57CAD in Parts. Looks like they replacing the whole tailgate handle.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good lord, the prices they charge. You’d think they’re replacing the entire tailgate for that price, not just the handle.

For reference, the actuator cost me $70 at my local dealer and took me well under an hour (more like 30 minutes) to replace, with no prior knowledge of how that tailgate was assembled. Sure, the switch in the handle is probably more, but that price is insane. Glad you’re not paying the bill.

danapop

Reaction score
When I was looking to thing, the part was probably around 100-150 for the switch itself. My deductible is $100 so I figured since I would need to pay that I might as well have someone else do it. If it was not covered, I could be doing it myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72