Is a d5 a great deal right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the rare ability to capture it from that one specific angle that makes the vehicle stand out. I still can't take it seriously from the full side shot...and the loss of command seating. ;)

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you like yours, just not the car for me.

What are the largest tires anyone has been able to fit to one thus far?

Webecinya

Reaction score
Sorry, I can’t get past the lower front wheel radiators. Seriously how can you drive over anything of substance with those hanging down there. The first branch to get caught up in that wheel arch and pokes through a radiator will be it.

It’s a fashion icon now, not off-roader.

8087f9986383d8a8a659b519760867af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I can’t get past the lower front wheel radiators. Seriously how can you drive over anything of substance with those hanging down there. The first branch to get caught up in that wheel arch and pokes through a radiator will be it.

It’s a fashion icon now, not off-roader.

8087f9986383d8a8a659b519760867af.jpg

Sheesh. That does look bad. Steel bumper required, I guess.

Even with, I don't think you would have as much space to work with to put a tire on an obstacle as a 4 or 3 with a TR or Kaymar bumper.

Maybe you would though. Only way to know is for someone to mod the **** out of one, and I haven't seen that done yet.

I also don't like that the roof is not flat.

Anyone folded the seats flat in one to see if there is room to stretch out and sleep? Especially with a fridge in the middle of the second row. That is one of my very favorite features of the 4 and 3 over the Wrangler that I also own.

Webecinya

Reaction score
That would be one hell of a steel bumper. Couldn’t imagine how heinous it would look.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but, in my opinion, there's just no angle of the D5 that looks pleasing to me. None. I honestly think the pre-facelift 200 series Land Cruiser looks better, and that's really saying something as I've always thought it looked kinda ugly.

I will admit that the D5 looks better in person than in picture, but still, there's no good angle. I like a vehicle I can look back at after I park, but I'm afraid the D5 would keep me looking ahead like I was running away from Medusa or something.

Different strokes, though. I'm well aware there are probably a lot of people who think the vehicles I like are ugly. That's fine.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to drive one this weekend. Orvis opened a new location about an hour from DC (Orvis Hill Country), and Land Rover hosted an off-road course during the grand opening weekend. I organized a small convoy of Rovers from our Maryland owners group and we made a day of it. We were even invited to park 5 abreast right in front of the LR tent. It was staffed by instructors from the Land Rover Experience Equinox in Manchester, VT. Great people who gave our group the VIP treatment.

The LR instructors are Rover enthusiasts just like us, of course. They acknowledged the feedback they all hear about the D5 design. But one thing they all said is that when it comes to the instructors' choice of the go-to vehicle on their offroad course, it's the D5. Granted, I'm not sure they have LR4's in their fleet anymore at that location. But they said that the D5 provided the right mix of comfort, amenities, and offroad performance for that use case. I didn't get the sense that they were just toeing the company line. They struck me as very candid. The guy I rode with said that he owns a RR Classic, so he's got old school tastes like many of us.

I'm over the comments about its looks. That's been done to death. I'm just passing along some interesting comments from a cohort I hadn't heard from prior.

DSC00920.jpg
DSC00923.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sheesh. That does look bad. Steel bumper required, I guess.

Even with, I don't think you would have as much space to work with to put a tire on an obstacle as a 4 or 3 with a TR or Kaymar bumper.

Maybe you would though. Only way to know is for someone to mod the **** out of one, and I haven't seen that done yet.

I also don't like that the roof is not flat.

Anyone folded the seats flat in one to see if there is room to stretch out and sleep? Especially with a fridge in the middle of the second row. That is one of my very favorite features of the 4 and 3 over the Wrangler that I also own.

The D5 I poked around in did not have 3 section split 2nd row seating. Thus, you cannot just pop out the center seat to drop a fridge into. Also, no, they did not fold flat into the floor level like the lr3/4.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course it's their go-to, on their course...but if the going got rougher than those mamby-pamby dirt tracks tailored to stock Rovers, they likely opt for something else.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D5 I poked around in did not have 3 section split 2nd row seating. Thus, you cannot just pop out the center seat to drop a fridge into. Also, no, they did not fold flat into the floor level like the lr3/4.

I'll be keeping my 4 until the wheels fall off, and then I'll likely just replace the bearings and drive on.

I have a strong feeling I would end up with a Wrangler Unlimited or Tacoma if I was buying new at this point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut