Is the tow receiver optional/did my LR3 have one at some point?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ulf001

Reaction score
My wife and I recently bought a 2007 LR3. I'm looking for the removable hitch receiver. The part that the removable receiver slides into under the rear bumper for towing is there (the hitch receiver receiver). The owner's manual says that receiver should be stored "behind an access cover on the left-hand side of the loadspace (7-seat models)" and this is a 7 seat model I'm talking about. When I open that cover there is nothing resembling a receiver in there, and I don't even see any sort of mounting straps or hard points which would indicate that one was once stowed there. (See picture.)

My question is, does that receiver come as a factory option/accessory or should all LR3's have come with one originally. I'm asking so I know whether or not to be ****** about it being missing, and also if it's optional and mine doesn't have it, is there anything else I will need in order to tow? For example, a wiring harness. I didn't see a trailer wiring connector anywhere on the back.

2013-01-15_18-36-59_985_zps5e61f823.jpg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken you will need to source both items as they do not come from the factory with them.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours probably has the wiring, there's a cover over it on the rear bumper, just use a coin to undo the clips. I can get pics later if you want. I've never seen a US LR3 without the wiring.

As for the hitch, I have no idea. Mine had it already fitted on the back and their is no sign of any holder in the slot specified in the manual.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2008 LR3 HSE I had the hitch receiver added. They come from the factory with the basics needed - wiring up to a point and the site for the hitch receiver to be attached to. However, as someone noted you'll have to get the wiring set up for it and the hitch receiver either from the dealer or another source. I had mine done by the dealer when I bought it - didn't have time or interest in doing it myself at the time.
Once you have the hitch receiver it's stored in that cargo space behind that panel when not in use. I see some people leaving them on the LR3's all year long. Up to you.
Hope that helps.

Ulf001

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. For others who may be researching the same issue, I pulled the panel on the rear bumper and found that I don't have the trailer wiring connector installed. I could see that there's a hole where the connector mounts into. I would need to buy the wiring kit. Looks like the wiring kit is an easy install and plugs in to pre-installed connectors somewhere in the area of the left rear tail lamp.

Additionally, if you want to stow your removable hitch receiver behind the panel in the rear left as I mentioned in my initial post, there's a mounting bracket you can buy. It's part number LR020002. I like the idea of having my receiver with me whenever the need arises, but it occurred to me that I would also need to lug around a ball mount and there's no nifty storage solution for that, so I'm not going to spring for the stowage bracket.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct to all. The vehicle comes prepared for what amounts to adding the towing trailer pig-tail and the hitch receiver. For carrying extra items I picked up some US Army surplus canvas bags and put tools, etc in there to keep from floating around the back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM