It goes from LOVE to HATE w/Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexDisco

Reaction score
Guys need some help. Here is the story:

My baby does not want to start. Last week I drove Disco to work and during lunchtime, my Disco started but sputtered like it's not firing on all cylinders. It did not want to drive, engine died. It turned back on but same stuttering . I decided to walk the dog for a while and give myself time to think and let the Disco "forgive me". During the walk all I could think of was wires/plugs, but they are new (last winter). Got back to the Disco, played with all the wires, fuses...but nothing, did not start again...Checked for fuel at the rail...no fuel. Disconnected battery neg. reconnected neg and presto fuel at the rail. Started like nothing was ever wrong and we drove away. It ran smooth for 4 days and same issue reappeared, except I can't get the fuel to the rail again, no matter what I say or do to the Disco.

Any ideas out there on further diagnosis / troubleshooting.

Baby:1995 DI 150K, Plugs and wires 10/08 Amsoil Synthetic Fluids, Optima Battery

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Last fuel filter change was?

Do you hear the fuel pump come on?

Fuel relay, bad pump, or bad connection drivers side frame near rear tire going to the pump.

AlexDisco

Reaction score
Last fuel filter change was?

Do you hear the fuel pump come on?

Fuel relay, bad pump, or bad connection drivers side frame near rear tire going to the pump.

Fuel Filter unknown- Deteriored condition of the connection. Tried replacing it but decided to skip as could not get it off witout opening a new can of %^$$&&.

I think I hear the pump or what I think is the pump sound.

I will play with connections going to the pump.

Can pumps work interminiently?
Thanks munch Joey.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Pump working intermittent is possible, but only if a bad power connection. You could also have some corrosion in the fuse box behind the battery.

Best way to hear fuel pump... have someone turn the key while you are in the trunk area and listen for the pump. It should run for about 2 or 3 seconds after key is turned.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought - have you looked at your fuel pressure regulator? Is vacuum line attached? Or if its comletely ditzed - that would affect your pressure at the rail; btw: what is your pressure at the rail?

The cheapest item to replace would be that fuel filter: if the threads are gone and so mucked-up you cannot relieve them - cut the damned thing out and attach the new one with extended flex fuel hose - screw the factory hook-up (still, I would try some crud/rust buster on those threads such as Sea Foam's spray bomb). The next cheapest thing would be the fuel pressure regulator and then, after that, the relay and, finally, the fuel pump (i.e., the most expensive thing in the fuel delivery line [other than injectors [LoL]). Of course, I am going by costs for a 1997 Disco I - yours will be different.

Simultaneous to this I would be examining that throttle body - as I just discovered on mine - it is amazing how those things can crud-up (thanks to the pcv flow-through) - and once de-crudded your starting can only improve.

Wolf

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
addendum to last - make sure you clamp those fuel lines when you work on that FF and try not to smoke !

Dick61

Reaction score
My 96 Series 1 did exactly the same thing a week after I bought it, the guy I bought it off said that it had done it to him once and disconnecting the battery had cured it. I tried this but no luck!!! I found a very easy and quick fix. New fuel pump and no problems not cheap though
Cheers

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 96 Series 1 did exactly the same thing a week after I bought it, the guy I bought it off said that it had done it to him once and disconnecting the battery had cured it. I tried this but no luck!!! I found a very easy and quick fix. New fuel pump and no problems not cheap though
Cheers

y old computer totaly crashed and I lost years of Rover notes including using a GM pump that is common for many years and fits Rovers as it's a GM item. The fuel pump I recall was $37 or $47 and only needed a electrical connector added.
Someone posted what parts swap out instead of being screwed by the stealers.
Camero V6 stepper motor at 1/5 Rover's price, Pick N Pull for free, I have 7 spares for the 95. I'm at 138K with OEM pump and fuel tank, screw that recall stealers want to nail you for a pump and other items. My tank took 20 PSI without failing hence not doing the recall.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo