Johnson Rods Full Time on LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdecks

Reaction score
So I just picked up the comp wheels and BFG 265/65/R18 and am now thinking about adding johnson rods to get the extra 2.5". Just curious if anyone else has these on full time, commuting to work, road trips, etc, in addition to using them off-road. If I add them I don't plan to remove them so I want to make sure they are fine for full time use, and don't alter the ride much or make it any less safe. Any insight?

Also, my LR4 is still under warranty, will these affect the warranty at all?

thanks to anyone who can add some knowledge!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just picked up the comp wheels and BFG 265/65/R18 and am now thinking about adding johnson rods to get the extra 2.5". Just curious if anyone else has these on full time, commuting to work, road trips, etc, in addition to using them off-road. If I add them I don't plan to remove them so I want to make sure they are fine for full time use, and don't alter the ride much or make it any less safe. Any insight?

Also, my LR4 is still under warranty, will these affect the warranty at all?

thanks to anyone who can add some knowledge!

Only your dealer service manager could really tell you what he will and won't honor. It should make any difference though on paper.

I just ordered these to make the stock versus offroad debate moot.

http://www.paddockspares.com/lift-rod-kit-discovery-3-4.html

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NASdiesel, that is pretty neat.

I am still split on this. I also just go tmy 265/65R18's on comps put on. Without any lift it works great, so I don't need the lift for any reason other than looks. I do think it would look good higher.

I spoke to a land rover tech at my dealer for awhile about this. The only thing he said was to watch out for roof loading and cornering, etc. I specifically asked about damage or premature wear to the suspension components, cv joints, etc and he said with a 2.5" lift it shouldn't be an issue. Obviously you want to get it aligned at the new height. he said that also shouldn't be an issue but that a little bit of modification might be needed for that much camber adjustment.

So, I think its ultimately a style decision. Since it works so well at stock height, I am thinking LLAMS might be a better option. Lets me get into my garage without access height (on rods) and is probably more practical.

I'm still mixed on the decision though. The rods are on my desk just taunting me though.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to sound like a worn record, but I absolutely love my LLAMS!!

Perfect for those who have a lot of highway miles on a daily commute!

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mrdecks - my Johnson rods are on all the time. Road trips, highway, city, off road, you name it. No problems to date. The extra 2.5" is nice.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that the LR4 handles sloppily on the road when you are lifted by that much 24/7, your center of gravity has moved up along with your suspensions, and on a vehicle this heavy it will show, big time. Traction and/or Dynamic Stability Control will kick in often in places like freeway on and off ramps, winding mountain roads, etc. The car won't feel anywhere near as stable at high speeds. If this was my weekend vehicle I would put up with all that, but not on a daily driver.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that the LR4 handles sloppily on the road when you are lifted by that much 24/7, your center of gravity has moved up along with your suspensions, and on a vehicle this heavy it will show, big time. Traction and/or Dynamic Stability Control will kick in often in places like freeway on and off ramps, winding mountain roads, etc. The car won't feel anywhere near as stable at high speeds. If this was my weekend vehicle I would put up with all that, but not on a daily driver.

I agree, this is why I travel in -20mm when on highway. Better gas millage and handling, and still have the ability to raise it when i want.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the rods are fine honestly. Of course your center of gravity shifts, but I don't think anyone buys an LR4 to drift around corners. It sure handles a lot better than the 2007 Tahoe I had with a 2.5" front and 1" rear leveling kit. I have never once felt unstable going around a corner with the rods.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the front bumper wind splitter things? Do you guys leave those on?

I like the look of the front without the cover and the little wheel wind panels. Makes the front approach angle look decent. You can get to the front tow hook also.

Whenever Devon 4x4 can ship to the states again, im going to order a crap ton of stuff from them, including the front steering/engine gaurd.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those plastic "winglets" in front of the front wheels were the very first items I removed off my car (OK, maybe the second after the cargo area retractable cover, lol.) You will shear them off eventually anyway when off-roading. The tow hook covers (both front and rear) were next on the list - I had to remove the front one to install the Asfir sump guard, the rear one has a D-shackle attached to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635