Johnson Rods Full Time on LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about the front bumper wind splitter things? Do you guys leave those on?

I like the look of the front without the cover and the little wheel wind panels. Makes the front approach angle look decent. You can get to the front tow hook also.

Whenever Devon 4x4 can ship to the states again, im going to order a crap ton of stuff from them, including the front steering/engine gaurd.
I also pulled them off right away when I installed my front skid plate and that allows access to the front recovery hook. If I did not have the front skid plate, I would likely remove the front as well. Last month when I went off roading with a friend of mine and he removed the front piece (no skid plate) and has the IID Tool and I was amazed at his clearance.

I was not aware that Devon4x4 no longer shipped to the US? That stinks.

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was not aware that Devon4x4 no longer shipped to the US? That stinks.

-David

Ya, they have some issue with liability or something. They say they are working on resolving it.

I want to order a bunch of armor and I am really liking the look of the D44 hidden winch kit with the Warn 9.5. Need to get the air compressor project done along with the dual battery kit next, then hopefully D44 stuff will be available.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, they have some issue with liability or something. They say they are working on resolving it.

I want to order a bunch of armor and I am really liking the look of the D44 hidden winch kit with the Warn 9.5. Need to get the air compressor project done along with the dual battery kit next, then hopefully D44 stuff will be available.
A friend of mine in our Land Rover club installed the D44 hidden winch and it looked awesome. I know he put a post (with photos) on our club forum, so I will have to look that up for you. He said fitting it was a pain in the butt, but it is extremely high quality and great design.

Keep me posted, as I also need armor. I think my next project is wheels/tires, then IID or LLAMS (maybe both), more armor/protection, dual battery kit, and then I can figure out if I want a front bumper (ARB).

-David

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have johnson rods installed all the time and frankly the high speed stability is still good for a 4x4. I think the extra ground clearance is worth what little difference in high speed stability or handling you may encounter. We removed the tow hook covers (and that silly cargo cover) as well

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope so. I can tell you next week when they arrive.
My friend Dave from our local Land Rover club makes adjustable rods which I may get soon, but it looks like these are similar. From what I read, in normal height, these rods still raise the vehicle to off-road height. I just ordered the IIDTool and it should arrive next week in time for off roading next Saturday. At least that will give me some height (and many other features that I wanted) while I still decide on the rods. I wonder if I can use the rods and the IIDTool for EAS suspension raising and lowering? I would imagine, but might need to calibrate again.

I would almost like rods that just replace the stock rods with something stronger, and allow adjustment as needed. In other words, rods that don't raise the vehicle all the time.

Keep us posted about how these are for you.

-David

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only caveat to leaving the johnson rods on all of the time is you must get an alignment after you install the rods as they change the alignment

lovison

Reaction score
mrdecks - my Johnson rods are on all the time. Road trips, highway, city, off road, you name it. No problems to date. The extra 2.5" is nice.

I'm in the same boat. Run them FT, for about 2 years/30K miles. Driven out from Dallas to Cali with them on, no problems. The only thing I noticed was that I did lose about 1 MPG between them and larger tires. Oh well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90