Johnson Rods Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clm7214

Reaction score
So I just got a set of Goodyear Duratracs and Johnson rods lift on my truck and it looks great. It rides great in normal mode, but in off road height it is extremely rough. It feels like the suspension is topped out. Is this normal?

It's a 2013 LR4 HSE. The picture is in normal height.

Attachments

• 20160528_111642.jpg
    20160528_111642.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole point of a modified rod such as Johnson's is that you drive in the "old" off road height equivalent at all times and at any speed, without assistance from the LR4 suspensions switch. You only use the switch to raise the car another couple of inches or so when you really need that extra lift - crossing a challenging rock garden, fording deep rivers, obstacles requiring the additional ground clearance you couldn't manually invoke before, etc. Then you go back down as quickly as it is safe to do so, You really shouldn't drive with Johnson Rods and off road height for long stretches. Whether on road or off, and besides putting quite a bit of undue stress on suspensions parts, you will have almost no upward suspensions travel and that will indeed result in a rough and jittery ride if you are lucky, and suspensions faults if you are not, as the sensors could easily hit the upper limit and decide something is not right.

As far as the ride in normal height + Johnson Rods being "great", well... I can simulate the rods with my LLAMS module and I don't think it is that great. It's fine in the city or on a highway at speed (as long as there are no strong crosswinds...), but handling on twisty roads suffers because your center of gravity moves up accordingly and gravity is, well, a *****. Car looks great lifted though, no questions about that.

Last edited:

clm7214

Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense. I had assumed it would still be drivable in off road mode after the lift. There is more roll than before, but I just came from a lifted 3/4 ton diesel so it still feels great to me. My goal was to have more clearance when driving through the desert above the off road speed limit. I do wish there were options for a 1, 1.5, or 2 in lift so that off road height would still be usable.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I do wish there were options for a 1, 1.5, or 2 in lift so that off road height would still be usable.

This is why most do not use the rods and go with IID Tool or LLAMS. With those systems, you can program as much fine tuning as you like.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
That looks fantastic. I spoke to one of the sisters (See the article below) about her experiences off road rallying her LR4. She was more driver/navigator oriented and mentioned the mechanical repairs of the LR4 are quite technical and better left to her professional mechanics and support team. None the less when I asked her about the Johnson Rods she suggested not operating the LR4 in off-road height with the Johnson Rods installed for long periods of time. She could not say that the Johnson Rods were the factual culprit in their malfunction but it seems to me that the additional strain on the suspension may be an issue there. I have to confess quite a bit of jealously in her adventure. What a great page in the story of life to have!

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/heres-why-you-should-bring-your-mom-off-road-racing-1768977048

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax