Johnson Rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placed an order for a set of Johnson Rods last night. I'll pick'em up while I'm in Vegas next week. I'll install and get some pics as soon as I get home. Next: 285/65 R18 BFGoodrich AT tires :smile:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placed an order for a set of Johnson Rods last night. I'll pick'em up while I'm in Vegas next week. I'll install and get some pics as soon as I get home. Next: 285/65 R18 BFGoodrich AT tires :smile:
Safe travels, alexcorral!

I can't wait to see pictures of the new tires. Have fun in Vegas!

-David

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I love the notion that an LR4 can be "lifted" in under an hour by replacing the height sensor linkages.

I don't know if this is an issue for the LR4 or not: I remember reading about a couple of instances with Range Rover Classics and airbag failure. On these occasions, the vehicle was on a steep incline, and on one wheel the suspension was at maximum travel. The suspension shifted so that the top and bottom of the airbag were out of alignment, and the airbag collapsed sideways. After that it could not compress. I've seen a picture of this, but have not been able to find it. :hmpf: Needless to say, extricating the truck from that predicament was problematic. As I said, I don't know if this issue applies to the LR4 or not. I just thought you should be aware of it.

My recommendation is to thoroughly test your truck with Johnson Rods installed in a location where recovery is relatively easy.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on lifting to off-road height once the rods are installed. I need the rods to be able to drive around all the time at current (rod-less) off road height with larger tires.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got back from Las Vegas yesterday and had some time today to install the rods. It's a 15 minute job: 1.5 minutes each front wheel and 6 minutes each rear wheel.

Front wheels are really easy because if you turn the wheel the opposite direction of the wheel you will work on, access is really good. This the front at off-road height:

IMG-20120923-00477.jpg

Rear wheels are a bit harder because you have to get under the car and access isn't that easy. Just lift it to off-road height before you get under. Watchout: When you remove the OEM rod the sensor will drop and the suspension will lower :eek:). This i sthe rear at off road height:

IMG-20120923-00476.jpg

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here are some pics of the truck raised at off-road height:

IMG-20120923-00479.jpg

IMG-20120923-00480.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great!!!

I did not realize it was such an easy install... Hmmm.

-David

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not being smart just trying to understand the benefit of this modification.

Jim

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The benefits are only gained when you install larger tires for increased ground clearance.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
The benefits are only gained when you install larger tires for increased ground clearance.

BFH, are you still making the Sasquatch rods? From the photos I've seen of them elsewhere, the benefit I can see for them over other offerings is that they are infinitely adjustable. A secondary benefit is that they are made by one of us. :smile:

Speaking of other offerings, one might consider the rods made by GN Vehicle Protection. They are two-position adjustable, allowing you to go from street mode to off-road mode with no tools.

Caveat: I have no personal experience with any of these.

Regarding installation of the rear Johnson rods and the suspension dropping, it might be a good idea to pick up a pair of plastic ramps at the local FLAPS and drive the the rear wheels on top before messing with the rods. I have a pair like these, and they hold the weight of the LR4 fine. Also good for oil changes, etc. — any time you're working under the car but don't need to take the wheels off.

ramps.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut