K&N Airfilters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

holygrail

Reaction score
I'm probaly going to opt out of "upgrading" to K&N .. who knows if I experience an engine issue in the future the dealer my try to "wiggle" out of the warranty if they find "non-factory" parts in the engine.

As for MPG and driving style. I'm actually a pretty conservative driver and drive typically about 7 MPH over the posted speedlimt to stay "under the radar". I don't do jackrabbit starts as well. I have yet to take the truck on a long sustaned trip (i.e. to Vegas), but in my daily driving I only get 15MPG at best using the hand calculated method. The trip computer ALWAYS over estimates my mileage by at least 1.5MPG or more! I put premium in as well. Oh well, guess I gotta live with it and just enjoy the truck! :biggrin:

Tim,

I've been using k&n filters for over 20 yrs now on all my cars. My 1st car was 11 yrs old...abused it like any teenager would out of a turbo-charged car. I had k&n on that engine foe over 140k miles. No engine no sensor issues.

My wife's Ford Focus has k&ns. My current BMW335 also has K&Ns...and the dealership just authorized me to put in dual cold-air filters. I even added a full exhaust system without warranty issues b/c most dealership service advisors and head mechanics know that some of aftermarket parts are more efficient than certain OEM parts.

My Land Rover service advisor approved me installing the K&Ns. He used it himself in the past on some of his cars. I also converted my fog lights to HIDs with AGTs (Advanced German Technology). They are 100% submergeable and off-road durable. I was averaging about 14.4 mpg. With all the traffic in DC, I.m averaging about 25mph per week total. I got about 17.2 mpg w/ 6 passangers and overnight bags from VA to NY. Not bad with that load. Was going about 78 mph cruise control.

After installing the K&Ns, I felt improvement, especially the next day. Computer will learn and adjust for the extra air. I went from 12.8 mpg city to mid to high 13s, and hwy was only tested over a 50 mile stretch of hwy. I got 19.5 mpg when I exited the hwy. Was going 75 - 80 mph w/ 3 family members in the vehicle. On a flat road, no hills, no wind like today, I can hit as high as 20.4 mpg on hwy. Unbelievable!! I got my money's worth.

It'll largely depend on wind and hills in my opinion. The car is a damn 6000 lb brick on wheels.

My next project in improving mpg is lighter wheels. I'm ordering Lexani 20" with 265/50R20 tires. I'm saving 10 lbs on each wheel compared to the factory 36 lb stock wheel. I will get more improvement than the K&Ns speaking from past experience and based on the improvements from my BMW. I went from 26 to 30 mpg on the bimmer. The dealership didn't believe me so I showed them a video from another trip from Va to NY.

Future anf final project will include Magnaflow quad-tipped dual exhaust system...coming out soon in Spring. My service advisor said as long as it's a cat-back exhaust, it'll be fine.

V/r,
Chris

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
This is insane! The only reason you need a K&N filter is if you're in a dusty environment and want to keep your filter clean, or if you do a full exhaust modification. For years people have been buying into the MPG and HP propa-crappa, but if you don't do to the exhaust what you're doing to the intake there is no benefit. What goes in has to come out, and visa versa for that matter (if you put exhaust on a car and don't improve the intake then you're just making the car louder). Save your money or go big, but pick one.

holygrail

Reaction score
Exhaust system

This is insane! The only reason you need a K&N filter is if you're in a dusty environment and want to keep your filter clean, or if you do a full exhaust modification. For years people have been buying into the MPG and HP propa-crappa, but if you don't do to the exhaust what you're doing to the intake there is no benefit. What goes in has to come out, and visa versa for that matter (if you put exhaust on a car and don't improve the intake then you're just making the car louder). Save your money or go big, but pick one.

I agree with you. What goes in must come out. I had full exhaust systems on all my cars. My BMW 335 currently has an exhaust and lighter aftermarket wheels, along with other mods. I'm waiting for Magnaflow to come out with the LR4 sometime in Spring. I've heard and seen the Magnaflow w/ quad pipes on a LR3 HSE V8, and it looked and sounded great! From the interior, it wasn't "teenage-loud" either. It had a beefier note for sure...that's all. But for now lighter wheels are always a plus! I'm just waiting for all the *** holes to be fixed around here. I'll be satisfied if I can just get a consistant 2-mpg improvement into the wind or uphills. If it doesn't, at least the car will look great! Bottom line...the mpg improved. I'll keep everyone updated. I'll take pictures too.

V/r,
Chris

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is insane! The only reason you need a K&N filter is if you're in a dusty environment.
That's the worst time to use them.
They let through more dirt. Using them in a dusty environment will let even more dirt in.

Donald Chambers

Reaction score
Fouled my MAF

I had the problem with the K&N filter and the fouling of the MAF sensors. I had to clean the MAF every couple of weeks. I replaced it with a normal dry filter. I may revisit the K&N again, clean it and try it again. If it works better the second time around, then that is better than the 20 bucks a pop for the dry filter.

The 1 MPG improvement sounds like a stretch. I've never seen any improvement in my other vehicles compared to a new OEM. I only like the KN because I can wash them instead of replacing the OEM more often. Some cars do not like them because they can mist small amounts of oil in the intrake tract and possibly foul MAF sensors.

Slow down 5 MPH on the highway and you will gain that much for no investment at all.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used K&N filters mainly because they're reusable. Make sure that after using the recharging oil you let the filter dry all day in the sun before reinstalling and you'll avoid any MAF issues

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a ton of misinformation out there about these filters. I've used them in the past with great results. I always coupled the k&n with performance exhaust, chip and complete system tuning. They work in the broad sense of increasing hp. You will more than likely have no appreciable gain in mpg or hp by just dropping in a filter. The filter box is a clumsy, restrictive coffin which is not conducive to providing increased air volume. You need a cold intake style set-up to see any sort of gain imho. Couple that with the solo side air intake of the LR3 (dual for LR4) and it's like breathing through a straw.
Most people do not know how to properly oil the filter anyways. Over-oiling is usually the mistake. Oiling the filter before it's completely dry is another mistake. I would let mine dry for a few days before oiling. Light oil is all it needs. Over-oiling is the common mistake and the LR MAF does not like oil.
Yes - I have tried this filter on my LR3. No gains to speak of. I only used it for street. Trail work is far too dusty to consider using the k&n. It is designed to increase airflow - not filtration. The stock filter has an advantage of being able to be removed and knocked on the ground or rock to remove a large portion of trapped dirt/dust once you hit camp.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used K&N filters on just about every type vehicle since K&N's became available and never had a single failure due to oil misting on the MAF's or any other issue. As blackforestham states, over-oiling is generally the biggest problem people create for themselves when installing these filters. The filter only needs to be light red, not crimson and never wet to filter properly. Over oiled filters do not filter adequately, foul MAF's, coat the intake and generally are a real bad idea. On the reverse, a properly oiled filter, used on the street or gravel or light off roading (not in clouds of dust and dirt) will do fine. I have used it in rock climbing and similar low dust conditions and no problem. I would not venture into desert sand with out replacing them with the OEM's, but for overall on-road use thay are excellent.

Just my opinion after about 50+ years of racing vehicles and boats of all types. Not everything works for everyone and common-sense rules. If you suspect it will be bad for your conditions, it probably will be. Unless you have lots of money to waste, never use the "what the hell" theory as it usually tends to cause all types of trouble. Been there and done that when I was much younger and had more money and less brains!

Happy New Year everyone!

I wanted to add that my fuel mileage with the K&N's has improved markedly. I am a light footed driver most of the time, other than the usual on-ramp marathon, or speed pass, but as many of you know, the traffic here in Southern California wiill often alternate between stop and start every fifty feet and then up to 70 and back to a crawl all within the span of a quarter mile. Nutzoid drivers. Regardless, I see almost a 2 MPG overall improvement in fuel mileage with the K&N's versus the stock filters. That said, I had one vehicle where the K&N provided worse fuel mileage and performance than the stock filters. Just depends on the vehicle and how it's driven. We have two 2013 LR4's so comparing them is easy. Only difference is the LUX package on one so that shouldn't acount for anything and that's the one with the K&N's. I'll update in a few months and seewhere the mileage sits.

Last edited:

holygrail

Reaction score
You are absolutely right!

I've used K&N filters on just about every type vehicle since K&N's became available and never had a single failure due to oil misting on the MAF's or any other issue. As blackforestham states, over-oiling is generally the biggest problem people create for themselves when installing these filters. The filter only needs to be light red, not crimson and never wet to filter properly. Over oiled filters do not filter adequately, foul MAF's, coat the intake and generally are a real bad idea. On the reverse, a properly oiled filter, used on the street or gravel or light off roading (not in clouds of dust and dirt) will do fine. I have used it in rock climbing and similar low dust conditions and no problem. I would not venture into desert sand with out replacing them with the OEM's, but for overall on-road use thay are excellent.

Just my opinion after about 50+ years of racing vehicles and boats of all types. Not everything works for everyone and common-sense rules. If you suspect it will be bad for your conditions, it probably will be. Unless you have lots of money to waste, never use the "what the hell" theory as it usually tends to cause all types of trouble. Been there and done that when I was much younger and had more money and less brains!

Happy New Year everyone!

Magnumforc, Here's my experience:

I coupled my LR4 with KNN, magnaflow exhaust, and custom 20" wheels that weight 6 lbs less on each wheel; and I e gotten 20.2 mpg driving from Northern Virginia to Upstate NY. I will post my video on YouTube to show you guys. But from what I recall, the KNN made my truck feel lighter and peppier. After installing the lighter wheels and exhaust, it was a world of a difference!!!

After driving two years, I've recently received a check engine light. The dealership couldn't figure out what it was. The light would go on and only would last for about a gas tank, then it would go off for another two gas tanks. The final verdict was the oil from the KNN interfering with the MAF sensor. After the dealer cleaned my sensor, the light came on only once and for the past 5 months, nothing. Only thing I'm doing differently, I don't gun the gas pedal as much and drive it over 80 mph. The reason why is I'm now in Seoul, Korea, and due to all the traffic I am unable to speed. Plus, the speed limit on the highway is only 110kmh which comes out to 68.75mph. There are speed cameras every few KM everywhere here.

Solution, don't excellerate full throttle too much. Driving moderately solved my issue, but didn't eliminate it. I never cleaned my KNN, so it wasn't due to me over-oiling.

BTW, the LR4 sounds amazing!!! Although Magnaflow sells a complete kit, I only paid $125 for the muffler and installed it for $75. They do need to cut out the old and weld on the new. The Land Rover dealership loves my car. Everyone wants to drive it. Afterwards, they all asking me what else I've done b/c the car feels so lively and healthy.

V/r,
Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo