Knowledge on LR4s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baden

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So I'm on the journey of finding and owning my first Land Rover. I have always driven a car, but have always wanted an SUV with off-road capabilities while still being decent to drive on-road. I know about all the different automobile brands/models out there with off-road abilities, but I've been a fan of Land Rover for a while. Their history, capabilities, and looks have made me a follower, but my lack of experience in being an auto mechanic and their reliability is what has made me hesitant about owning one. Since I have never owned a Land Rover, I'm no expert on them (YouTube can only help so much). I'm not looking for new, I'm looking for used, in particular, the LR4s (these appeal to me most when looking at the Discovery). My ideal mileage is under 75k. I was hoping to get some insight on how reliable these have been for owners at this milage or if anyone can provide experienced knowledge on what it is like owning one and which model years fair better, and if there is anything I should be on the look-out for when buying one.

thank you,
Hopefully future Land Rover owner

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Like any high end vehicle or SUV reliability can depend a lot on how well the previous owner maintained it. All models of all high end vehicles can and will have lemons. Rovers are no more or no less reliable than any other vehicle.

I was just down at my friend Nathans in KY (he sells and works on used rovers) he was telling me about an LR4 that was needing a new engine... why new owner of the used Rover for a year an a half hasn't changed or checked the oil. It was empty for a while prior to locking up. Can't blame the LR4 for this.