largest tire with no lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken Verheyen

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2016 Lr4 landmark with 255/50r20's. what is the larget tire i can fit without a lift. I was thinking of Nitto terra grappler G2 285/50r20's? Does anyone have these on their Lr4? any rubbing issues? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

I recently bought a 2013 that came with 20” grapplers. It is a nice quite tire. The ride felt stiff and heavy which is what you get with 20” tires. I switched mine out for a set of Compmotives and put 19” BF Goodrich K2O,s. The ride is much better and as it should be. I use the car in the back country of idaho where the terrain is steep, rocky and lots of snow in the winter. If you decide to go with the 20” grapplers, I have a set in southern cal for sale on craigslist OC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kelly Barrie

Reaction score
Well, got them on after all. When I took it down to my Landy Guy, he said, since the car was on a lift and had not been Locked into access mode, the suspension kept reaching, making it hard for the tech to get a very heavy wheel flush with the hub (sound familiar). I have to say I love the way this set up feels for daily driving, camp/light forest trails etc. Road response/handling is much improved, and still delivers that classic LR cloud ride. Next up, order a set of 18 compos, Install dual battery sys and add a fridge of course. Aux camp lights and rear tactical bumper with swing away might have to be in next years budget, you definitely feel the wallet drain with these beasts, but I just love this truck! HSE with HD package front and rear lockers, bought it last year with 32k on it.

IMG_0070.jpg

View attachment 8415

IMG_0082.jpg

medman61

Reaction score
Just thought I would add to this for the info of others who search. I have Johnson Rods and aftermarket 20" ATX rims. First tried a set of Nitto Trail Grappler MTs in 285/55/20. Had to do a little trimming of front plastic with a dremel and had rub on frame at full lock to both sides. Rub got a little better over time as the mud tire outer blocks wore away a little. But when they wore out after about 25000 miles I replaced with Nitto Ridge Grappler 275/55/20. These are slightly quieter and no rub at all. Very happy with them. I kept my stock 19 inch wheels and mounted snow tires - Bridgestone Blizzak 255/55/19 which leave room for me to use chains as well in severe weather.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same 20" tires and rims as Kelly Barrie and I find them to be quite quiet and comfortable on and off road.

How do you like that roof top shower? Does the sun warm up the water well?

Kelly Barrie

Reaction score
Roof top Shower is amazing. I highly recommend the shower attachment which I find invaluable especially after hitting a remote beach or lake with the kids. I'm in SoCal, so on the really hot days the water temp can get too hot, so I either park in shade or run my Hilleburg awing over it.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@kellybarrie Oh wow, that's great to hear that it gets that hot! Your model appears to be the 7 gal one. Just checked and there are 4,7,& 10 gallon models. Are you happy with that size?

Kelly Barrie

Reaction score
Yes, 7 Gal is good for our family of three +1 friend for a few days of camping. I'd also recommend the electric pressure pump and a shower tent as I find them very useful. There's nothing better than a shower and a cold beer after a couple of days on the road.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea for offroad driving is to have the tallest tire possible so that you have the sidewalk size to be able to deflate the tire for the best traction and pinch flat protection. So getting to a /65 or even a /60 aspect ration is the way to go but you need an 18” wheel (or smaller) in order to get there at least without some serious modifications.

With a /55 (seen primarily on 19” wheels) or /50 on 20”s, is there any ability to drop the pressure - that does any good offroad? I guess they can still be decent offroad tires in those ratios but you have to count on tread pattern at ‘normal’ pressures?

I know there are a lot of tire threads and feel I have read most of them but still a little unclear how good you can offroad without going to 18”s.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of tire threads and feel I have read most of them but still a little unclear how good you can offroad without going to 18”s.

Simple: you don't air down.

As you say, airing down serves two functions off-road: increased traction and better ride. The LR4 has great traction traction control from the factory, though. And, with 4-wheel independent suspension, its ride is better than most. I've driven my LR4 on 19's all over the trails around Ouray and Telluride without issue.

The only real problem (and the top reasons go to 18" wheels if you plan on off-roading alot) is tire size and sidewall strength. I'll go to 18" wheels eventually, but, for now, I've been fine without them on the mild trails I've done so far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut