Leaving tires at low PSI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I actually have an LR4, but figured I might get more insight here.

I'm at the beach for 2 weeks and every day I spend hours driving on the 4x4 beaches and in the sandy, flooded dunes.

I've got my tires down to 22 PSI and I'm curious what the issues might be if I leave them there when I'm driving on normal roads for the next week. I have to drive about 35-40mph for about 15 minutes to get to the offroad beach access, other than that, the car is basically at the beach house, parked.

I'm careful to take turns around bends in the road.

Yes, I'm asking if I can be lazy and not spend the 25 minutes to air down and 25 minutes to air back up each day. But I don't want to hurt the vehicle at the same time.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll just wear out the tires faster. But at those speeds you shouldn't have to worry about anything else.....

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dangers of running aired down tires on pavement have to due with heat and sidewall stability. You mentioned driving slow around corners, that helps with stability. But the heat factor is something to consider. If a tire starts to build up internal heat, it can hit a "tipping point" and continue to rapidly get hotter until it violently explodes. This is generally an unfavorable result!

However, in my completely unscientific opinion, driving a short 15 minute distance at relatively low speeds will not cause any undue harm or wear to your tires. In places like Moab, it is common to stay aired for all week, driving around town and out to the trail heads in that condition. It is better to air up, but reasonable precautions can be taken by modifying your driving behavior.

I am however, somewhat surprised that 22psi works for you in the sand. I typically had to go lower for good flotation.

Word of caution, don't drive into flooded areas if you can help it! That salt water does your electronics and fiber optic connectors no good at all.

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks.

Yeah, 22 is working great on all varieties of sand/dunes here. I've almost been trying to get stuck and haven't succeeded yet. Could be if I air down more though the engine won't have to work as hard?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. When I spend a week down in Hatteras I air down the first time I get on the beach and don't touch the compressors until I'm headed out (or if I have a long high speed side trip to take).

I'm careful on corners, that's about it.

Good thread. If someone replies telling of horror stories that they have personally experienced I may change my tune, but for now I don't notice any tire wear or adverse affects and I do it 2-3 times a year. It's nice to pump them back up after you've been riding at low pressure for a week. The car really feels different. :)

nwoods, what is the pressure danger (textbook) you are referring to? isn't heat induced high pressure good in this scenario...it will just re-inflate your tires! is there a different type of high pressure build up at low pressure than at high tire pressure? anyway, just asking because that confused me...

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods, what is the pressure danger (textbook) you are referring to? isn't heat induced high pressure good in this scenario...it will just re-inflate your tires! is there a different type of high pressure build up at low pressure than at high tire pressure? anyway, just asking because that confused me...

It's called "Tire Pyrolysis"
http://www.youtube.com/user/EquipmentSupplyCo#p/a/u/1/jBUVzgCHHuA

It's when a chemical reaction occurs in the body of the tire (not the air chamber). It is caused by applying heat to the tire, even indirectly such as by welding on a rim or something.

I am NOT saying that driving around with low pressure in your tires will cause Pyrolysis. In fact, I highly doubt it could...but ever since seeing this video, I've been a bit more sensitive to the possibility.....

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wild video!

As far as being aired down for extended periods of time: Willie under your conditions you should be fine. I have been aired down in Moab for over a week and didn't drive nearly as conservative.

Rob

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the beach i see no need to air down unless you somehow managed to get stuck. I live on an island and drive on the beach pretty much every single day to check the surf and or stay down there all day... the sand is super deep and very soft (thin sand) and I never air down nor do I have troubles in spots of 10-12 inches of loose super soft sand.

Its almost a forbidden to be a local and air down in this town, id say its often about 85% driving ability and 10% tires and 5% air down when it comes to beach sands.. Id reccomend leaving your tires aired up and just focus on your driving. saves you both time and worry here.

and side note: was in hatteras about a month ago and had no probs in that sand, its actually way easier to drive in then the sand around here.

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allodial,

Clearly I don't have the experience you do on beaches since you live on one. But I can say that just about every forum and 'expert' i've run across has said the #1 thing you can do to prevent getting stuck is to air down. Even the locals in Carolla/Carova who go back and forth every day are aired down (at least the 3 folks I chatted with). I also had a long conversation with the manager of a Jeep rental company there and she reiterated the same advice. Over 10 days of beach driving I stayed at 22 PSI and had no problems, but I did see over that time about half a dozen trucks stuck and having to get recovered. Well 2 (non-wrangler style) jeeps, 3 assorted crossover SUVs, 1 VW Jetta (lost?).

I think your advice is something like "Us locals, through a mastery of knowledge and technique, use dull knives to de-bone our chickens all the time and have yet to slice off a finger!"

:biggrin:

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allodial,

Clearly I don't have the experience you do on beaches since you live on one. But I can say that just about every forum and 'expert' i've run across has said the #1 thing you can do to prevent getting stuck is to air down. Even the locals in Carolla/Carova who go back and forth every day are aired down (at least the 3 folks I chatted with). I also had a long conversation with the manager of a Jeep rental company there and she reiterated the same advice. Over 10 days of beach driving I stayed at 22 PSI and had no problems, but I did see over that time about half a dozen trucks stuck and having to get recovered. Well 2 (non-wrangler style) jeeps, 3 assorted crossover SUVs, 1 VW Jetta (lost?).

I think your advice is something like "Us locals, through a mastery of knowledge and technique, use dull knives to de-bone our chickens all the time and have yet to slice off a finger!"

:biggrin:

haha i love that analogy! but in all seriousness i just dont find it totally necessary to do, since I too would hate to have to air up/down everyday or time I hit the sand.. just a bit of advice, maybe try it out before you commit to airing down every time for the rest of owning the car. I think youll be pleasantly surprised that you wont need to every time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49