Light Swapage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Hello all, :hello:
I was wondering if any of you could tell me if it is possible and what would be involved to switch the HALOGENS on my 99D2 to the XENON lights that are in the newer D2’s. (Not the L3, as I don’t like the cluster they made or really the overall look of it at all, looks a little too much like the Honda element, why they are making a 4x4 lower kinda defeats the whole 4x4 purpose doesn’t it? :confused: ) Would this be a hard task, and what kinda cash do you think we are talking?

Also does anyone know if you can buy xenon bulbs for the main lights and fog lights instead of replacing the light clusters? If yes do you have a model # I could look for? :biggrin:

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Muddyone said:
I was wondering if any of you could tell me if it is possible and what would be involved to switch the HALOGENS on my 99D2 to the XENON lights that are in the newer D2’s.
When you say "newer D2's" are you referring to model years 2003 and 2004?

If this is what you are implying, the first problem is that the light housing's are significantly different shapes.

Also, I don't believe that the stock lights on these model years are xenon (but at first glance they appear to be).

Muddyone

Reaction score
That is the year I mean, is it possible then that they are HIDs? They seem to be much brighter and produce a white light as oppose to the yellow light the halogens produce so I assumed that they were xenons.
Could you still switch them though, if it’s not possible to switch clusters what about bulbs then?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? It will cost you more than you gaining :)

Lighting90

Reaction score
Here is a question and answer regarding the xenon lamps for you from the Osram web site.

Question:
Can "xenon lamps" be installed in any vehicle?

Answer:
"Xenon light" works on a completely different principle from conventional halogen headlight lamps. They need electronic control gear in order to operate, and since the geometry of the lamps is different from that of other headlight lamps, they also need special reflectors.

"Xenon lamps" can only be installed if the entire headlight is replaced. Please ask your dealer whether "xenon light" is available for your vehicle as an option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:
My dealer said there is no retrofit with Xenon-Lamps possible for my car, although there are a lot of cars with Xenon-Lamps on the road that didn't have Xenon from the start.Is it possible to replace the existing luminaries by a Xenon-version by myself?

Answer:
It is not possible to replace a halogen lighting system with a Xenon lamp by yourself. Some car manufacturers offer a special conversion which is done by the their garages (VW, BMW).

Some car manufacturers have not yet decided, whether they should offer this possibility. The reason is that this is a very complex and expensive integration that must be adapted to the total electrical system of the car. Further, a large number of tests are necessary. To avoid abuse of the Xenon light there are many regulations. E.g. an automatic levelling system is needed in some markets to reduce glare for the oncoming traffic.

In addition to this, a headlamp-washing device is also required in certain European markets. Finally you may have to change many parameters of the car electronic system.

Nobody would like the airbag to open when you turn on the lights.

So we recommend that you avoid modifications that do not come original from the car manufacturer.

Hope it is of help.

Muddyone

Reaction score
Thank you all for such speedy replies!! :biggrin:
Ok so it does not look good :hmpf: , what about switching the actual bulbs then? I’ve seen other makes of cars that had normal headlights and they have switched the bulbs to the brighter white light while still running the original light cluster?

Lighting90

Reaction score
That is possible, I know you can over here in the Uk, as OSram do them, I think the company is called something else in the USA, I will try and find out..

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw i have Sylvania and Xenon bulbs in me trucks - and Xenon is way nicer. It has more bluish color in it, which makes it much better at night / fowl weather (blue light isnt as reflective as normal white). You can get them in local autoshops for bugger all nowdays.

Muddyone

Reaction score
Lighting90 said:
Found the website... http://www.sylvania.com/auto/

Have a look around, as I am sure you will find it useful...

Its looks good but I can’t seem to get past the selection of auto and year, do you know of any other ways to get a part # or does anyone know a part # maybe I should call them, :confused:
thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9