Long crank, no faults

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try a new crank position sensor first. Looks like an easy swap. You said the mechanic swapped out the cam sensors, but not the crank sensor. Cam correlation code could be the crank sensor going bad. If that doesn’t work, I’d try swapping out the HPFPs before I did the timing. Just makes more sense to me. Looks like the pumps can be had for about $200 each, maybe less if you shop around.

Ok, I’ll go for the crank position sensor first when I get the car back. They said they saw the sensor communicating with the car while even cranking but it’s worth a shot.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this would help, but there is a video from British Atlantic that goes through the entire process of replacing the timing chains. I watched it and thought it was pretty good. I don't have the first idea of what he was doing, but it was so methodical that it was easy to follow along.

They have other videos as well on how to replace other parts, water pump, etc. The guy recommends replacing just about everything back to the timing chain if you are going to go that deep into it.

theegovernor

Reaction score
Agreed agreed, just wouldn’t want to pull the timing cover and get all the tools to find out the fuel pump is timed but was just going bad.
Super easy to check the fuel pump timing. Pull the crankshaft position sensor and put the flywheel timing tool in. Then remove 2 bolts for the vacuum pump and put the tool in.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that sounds a lot easier. ;)

What I found fascinating is watching him remove layer upon layer of engine attachments to access the injectors and timing chain. Instead of an exploded view, it provided a practical and dynamic process showing how all that stuff was held together and how it could be disassembled. Of course, he seemed very experienced and comfortable in what he was doing.

Truthfully, watching him work, I was left with the impression that being a mechanic doing this job would be sort of tedious. I can see why someone might want a half-rack of beer and a weekend in the garage with music blaring in the background in order to pass the time as you wrenched on all these parts to disassemble, replace, and reassemble the entire thing.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atlantic British and lucky8 don't have crank position sensors, and it seems like all my OEM Land Rover parts sites got shut. Does anyone have a reputable OEM parts sight that has good prices or is FCP my best bet.

theegovernor

Reaction score
Atlantic British and lucky8 don't have crank position sensors, and it seems like all my OEM Land Rover parts sites got shut. Does anyone have a reputable OEM parts sight that has good prices or is FCP my best bet.
Pay for shipping and I will send you a spare I have

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pay for shipping and I will send you a spare I have

Don’t think I’ll need the pumps. They said they know it’s the chain and they could see the slack in the chain when they pulled the vacuum pump. I think you mentioned something about possibly letting me borrow timing tools to lock the cam shaft

theegovernor

Reaction score
Don’t think I’ll need the pumps. They said they know it’s the chain and they could see the slack in the chain when they pulled the vacuum pump. I think you mentioned something about possibly letting me borrow timing tools to lock the cam shaft
I meant I have a spare sensor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV