Long crank, no faults

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theegovernor

Reaction score
Ok this would by far be the most complicated project I have ever tried. If I am going to attempt this I’m going to have to be extremely organized and careful, take pictures of everything’s configuration and take it one step at a time

Do you think you could link me the part of the service manual that covered doing the timing chain and auxiliary chain. If I remember correctly the service manual should tell me all the tools I need but if there are any tools you recomend please link them. Is there a video or guide I could use along side the service manual to give me a good step by step process of the job? Lastly for anyone who has done the timing chain, any words of wisdom or advice?
I can send you the info. And you can borrow my tools if you want

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This autologic training video discusses the hpfp system and at around 23:00-24:00 gets into how to check timing.

Looks like you just lock the crank and pull the vacuum pump, which must run off the same aux chain. No need to pull timing covers. You can use the special tool to check the timing, or you can visually inspect to see that the slot in the shaft is aligned with the bolt holes (tool might be easier if you don’t have the engine pulled - not sure how you’ll see it very well otherwise, but maybe you can. I assume this is what your mechanics did, but you might as well double check as you start pulling everything else apart - if it looks like it’s correct, I’d stop there. I’m still just a little baffled at how an out of time pump shaft would give you long crank and no other issues.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing - the manual I have (which appears to be some third-party cobbled together sections from 2011 and 2014 manuals, but its not too bad) was found at the below link. See the post that says “here my repository” and then go to the “EN“ folder. You’ll see various manuals. I use the 2014 manual. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/discovery-4-wiring-diagrams-146859.html

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all you guys for all of the insight and convincing me to go through with this build. Before pulling the trigger I do want to address one thing, why did it get worse over time so slowly? If it jumped time wouldn’t it have been instantly bad and stayed the same the whole time? That’s the one thing I just don’t understand. I just need that question answered before I rip apart the whole engine because that makes me question if the HPFP itself could just be the issue which slowly got worse over time. Anyone have any idea?

Still haven’t picked up the car yet at the mechanic since I’ve had no time this week. I’ll ask them this when I’m there but just not completely convinced.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced either, to be honest, however, if the pump is mistimed, fixing it is probably worth it.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try a new crank position sensor first. Looks like an easy swap. You said the mechanic swapped out the cam sensors, but not the crank sensor. Cam correlation code could be the crank sensor going bad. If that doesn’t work, I’d try swapping out the HPFPs before I did the timing. Just makes more sense to me. Looks like the pumps can be had for about $200 each, maybe less if you shop around.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the cost of checking the pump timing, if you have the tools? Is it just time/effort/messy fluids?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut