Long crank, no faults

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the coolant heats up, temp sensor 1 will trend towards 0.5 volts. Temp sensor 2 will stay cooler (higher volts) because that‘s the cold side coming out of the radiator. So the general trend looks okay. Right after starting, you’re already putting some heat into the system, which might explain why sensor 1 is lower than sensor 2. I’d check them dead cold before starting just to make sure they’re about the same, since that’s when you are having an issue. If they are about the same, I think you can rule out the temp sensors.
I did that today, car sat for 10ish hours there was around a 6ish degree change. Although it’s off would 6 degrees really affect how fast a cold start turns over though? Also on the morning that photo was taken the car cranked for like 6 seconds.

Attachments

• 5110FEEF-9664-4DA4-8417-55BF2B6831C9.png
    5110FEEF-9664-4DA4-8417-55BF2B6831C9.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 30

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still not completely sure what’s going on with the car, the only other thing that I could think of that I know is off about the engine is this slight exhaust leak from the manifold. At first it will make a faint ticking and puffing sound as it high idols but usually will go away by the end of the high idol then I never hear it, not sure if that could be the reason it doesn’t turn over as fast but it’s also had that leak for almost 2 years and I’ve never had an issue till now. I’ll link a YouTube video of the car cranking just to make sure you guys think my stater sounds healthy. Really stumped for this issue otherwise though. The only code I’ve gotten for the engine is P0526-17 (28). Take a look and let me know what you guys think

Attachments

• 60340BFF-3071-434C-88C1-B289841DA4A1.png
    60340BFF-3071-434C-88C1-B289841DA4A1.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 32

alldazed

Reaction score
I’ve been following this along with interest from the beginning. One thought is whether it using the ambient air temperature sensor to figure out fuel mixture required. About the time your issues started I had two longer crank incidents. I had also noticed the ambient air temp was way off a few times on the dash either after being parked overnight or left a few hours. I don’t think it was picking up engine heat as in the 2011 rrs it is in the driver door mirror and I haven’t noticed it being off before. A couple of other minor gremlins led me to test the battery which had always appeared fine but was down at 11.6 volts after sitting overnight. I replaced it and so far so good and ambient temp displays normally. Obviously the ambient air temp is going to dictate fuel richness at initial start.
Also are you sure that is an exhaust manifold leak and not an intake manifold leak. If you have someone start it whilst you breathe in over the engine whilst it first fires up it should stink of rich fuel if it’s the exhaust manifold like it does at the tailpipes - at least mine does. If the intake has a slight leak it will be creating a weaker mixture than intended.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My battery won’t go below 11.7 after sitting but is usually upper towards 12V. The battery was also just replaced last year so I don’t think that would be the culprit. As for the exhaust yes I usually smell it coming out of the drivers side wheel well but normally goes away after. My ambient sensor that displays on the dash is accurate but there could be another sensor that isn’t. What other sensors does the engine use to measure temperature.

alldazed

Reaction score
I’m not 100% but I think the MAF sensors mounted on the air filter housing measure ambient temperature as well as air flow. Sometimes they need to be cleaned carefully with a maf spray product.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked those before the car was on after sitting for abour 3 hours while. While the ambient air temperature read 55F the bank 1 intake 78.8F while bank2 intake read 84.2. I assume that they were warmer because they were trapped with engine heat all day, the car started fine though. I’ll check voltages when I do my next cold start.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some digging around couldn’t find anything in the PCM temp sensors that seemed off. However I found a sensor reading 419° F in the BCM. I had an Ambient temp sensor right next to it reading the actual temp and the “external temperature” reading 419° F. Could someone check this live value in their car and make sure it’s not normal. Anyone know where this external temp sensor would be located?

Attachments

• CAFF54B7-9BC0-4C30-8984-675DC983995B.png
    CAFF54B7-9BC0-4C30-8984-675DC983995B.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 40
  • B2F63C8F-9E7D-4F00-95A3-695FA0945BAE.png
    B2F63C8F-9E7D-4F00-95A3-695FA0945BAE.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 22983
Cars display was showing 52°
The odd thing is that my car displays the proper temp on the dash so I don’t think the bumper sensor is the culprit. Is there another location for another sensor? I also did check this with the ignition off after driving so I’ll check again before I start the car with the ignition on just to confirm that it is reading a completely absurd number like 419° F.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA