Long crank, no faults

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrien

Reaction score
I wired my own ground from the battery to the coil ground, I unscrewed the ground bolt and screwed the wire into ground for the coils.
Gotcha, I think that’s the safest way to do it.

I’m sure the two new issues are related to grounding/power. I’ll be back with my car at 4pm tomorrow so I’ll wire up the additional ground as you did. If it starts I’ll test drive and check for faults to compare

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also here is an over view. I’ll take the intake duct off if you guys are Interested in seeing the whole set up

Attachments

• IMG_7314.jpeg
    IMG_7314.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 43

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wired my own ground from the battery to the coil ground, I unscrewed the ground bolt and screwed the wire into ground for the coils.
This is a key point, and I’m not clear on what you did. You should only have made an additional parallel path, not substituted be while disconnecting any of the regular grounds. Otherwise…other circuits might now not be seeing a good ground.

A permanent wire in parallel shouldn’t hurt, but the fact that it worked means that the other grounds were not making god contact. I would go fix all of those, too.

Adrien

Reaction score
Also here is an over view. I’ll take the intake duct off if you guys are Interested in seeing the whole set up
Just a note, the MAF sensors ground direct to the ECM (separate ground pins for each sensor) I know this isn’t too helpful, just a small detail to keep in mind while troubleshooting.

Since you’re having a low battery warning I’d focus up by the BMS, and follow the negative leads from the battery and check connections as you go. Main earth strap would be next item since we’ve established that there is an issue somewhere between the engine and the negative battery post since your wire has sorted the coil issue.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the jumper leads on both grounds to the battery ground and boom car fired right up
By both grounds, you mean a ground for each bank? I mention it only because you shouldn’t ground the ecu signal wire that controls firing on a three-wire coil. The ecu signal wire might look like and test like a ground, but it needs to run only through the ecu. If these are two wire coils, probably should not directly ground them at all. My understanding is that the two wire coils are directly run through a microprocessor to regulate voltage. Not sure if the hot or ground is regulated (or both). Some articles that might help explain. https://www.techshopmag.com/coil-on-plug-ignition-the-wired-differences/

Glad you made some headway with the problem though. Assuming you’ve just grounded the true ground on a three coil, shouldn’t be too difficult to track down the actual source of the ground fault.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my set up. I have ran a cable directly from the negative terminal on the battery to both coil grounds. If I shouldn’t be running the car like this let me know. Also I believe the car thinks the battery is low however there is no sign of lack of battery power. Every time it starts it sounds healthy. I did get that code for the MAFs and I figured out why. Although they are functioning properly the voltage is completely out of range.

Attachments

• IMG_7320.jpeg
    IMG_7320.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7318.jpeg
    IMG_7318.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7314.jpeg
    IMG_7314.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7317.png
    IMG_7317.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7316.png
    IMG_7316.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 44

Adrien

Reaction score
Here is my set up. I have ran a cable directly from the negative terminal on the battery to both coil grounds. If I shouldn’t be running the car like this let me know. Also I believe the car thinks the battery is low however there is no sign of lack of battery power. Every time it starts it sounds healthy. I did get that code for the MAFs and I figured out why. Although they are functioning properly the voltage is completely out of range.
I’ve definitely got some oil on the passenger side. (Ground already removed in photo btw, with the metal showing you can really see how dirty it is

Attachments

• IMG_4624.jpeg
    IMG_4624.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4625.jpeg
    IMG_4625.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 34

Adrien

Reaction score
Cleaned grounds still no start but I’ve also taken my battery down to 11.6/11.5v so I’m going to charge that up then try once more before creating the new parallel ground

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned grounds still no start but I’ve also taken my battery down to 11.6/11.5v so I’m going to charge that up then try once more before creating the new parallel ground
Good point, forgot to mention that I’ve been running a trickle charger for the battery

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM