low frequecy vibration at 55mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wdenis123

Reaction score
2002 discovery 91,000 miles,no accidents.i bought this truck a few weeks ago.it looked like the used car dealer rotated the tires around cause the tires on the rear of the truck were cupped pretty bad.they were down to the wear bars anyway.there was a low harmonic drone or vibe when i reached 52-55 miles per hour almost seems like its from the right front.yesterday i put on a new set of nitto NT420S tires on all 4 wheels( i need to get it alligned this week)and stilll again at about 52 miles per hour and up it almost feels like im running a off road or snow tire on the front and there feels like there is an ever so slight resistance associated with the drone. HOWEVER! if i steer about 1/2'' to the LEFT both go away and things get real nice. is it possiible that its an alignment issue or something with the front end(acoupler or cv joint or bearing ? the ujoints seem fine. this is my first rover and i love the comfort and seating position,ive been an fan since i was a kid and vacationing in vermont i really want to take care of this truck and hold onto it.so if any of you experianced guys have any ideas i would be very glad to hear your input.thanks in advance, wayne

snowcrackerUT

Reaction score
2002 discovery 91,000 miles,no accidents.i bought this truck a few weeks ago.it looked like the used car dealer rotated the tires around cause the tires on the rear of the truck were cupped pretty bad.they were down to the wear bars anyway.there was a low harmonic drone or vibe when i reached 52-55 miles per hour almost seems like its from the right front.yesterday i put on a new set of nitto NT420S tires on all 4 wheels( i need to get it alligned this week)and stilll again at about 52 miles per hour and up it almost feels like im running a off road or snow tire on the front and there feels like there is an ever so slight resistance associated with the drone. HOWEVER! if i steer about 1/2'' to the LEFT both go away and things get real nice. is it possiible that its an alignment issue or something with the front end(acoupler or cv joint or bearing ? the ujoints seem fine. this is my first rover and i love the comfort and seating position,ive been an fan since i was a kid and vacationing in vermont i really want to take care of this truck and hold onto it.so if any of you experianced guys have any ideas i would be very glad to hear your input.thanks in advance, wayne

I have an 04, just lifted it with OME, and I have noticed vibrations betweent the 75-80mph range. Anybody have any input?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Two different issues which should be two different posts... I will start with wdenis123

Alignment isn't much on a Disco, just toe in/out set to zero. I would check to make sure your U-joints have been replaced, if not replace them on the front drive shaft. May or may not be your issue, I would also have the front brakes checked.

SnowcrackerUT (in the future try a new post - thanks)

How big a lift did you go? Did you change tires? My guess is driveline angle will need to be corrected, either way I would recommend changing your U-joint in the front driveshaft to a double cardon.

xengineguy

Reaction score
What you describe sounds like a front hub bearing. You are changing the load on the bearing when stearing right/left. I assume the sound comes back after the manuver..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink